April 19, 2024, 12:25:10 AM

collapse

Author Topic: KitKat Plus and Minus -- Your Experiences?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
KitKat Plus and Minus -- Your Experiences?
« on: November 27, 2013, 04:24:38 PM »
Finally received KitKat and (with some trepidation, in view of the many problem reports) installed it on N7 (2013) and N7 (2012).  Sort of a "ho-hum" experience.  Not much visible difference.  Some icon and color changes.  Perhaps the real changes are "under the hood".  Did not experience any of the horror stories reported on the Android sites.  Startup (cold start) seems a bit slower but case-magnet sleep and wake-up appears to now work reliably.  (In 4.3 this function required that wifi be "on" in order to wake).  All of my apps seem to work as before.

Please (continue to ) share your 4.4 experiences.  What's different; what works (better); what does not?

JayJ

Re: KitKat Plus and Minus -- Your Experiences?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:22:21 AM »
I'm impressed with the update. Your right, there's more going on under the hood so to speak.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Somthing I've Noticed with KK
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
I've only had KK for a day, but I notice that it takes a few seconds longer to boot up after a conld start. Also notification apps (battery, outside temp, calendar, time of day, etc) take about a minute to appear -- about twice as long as with 4.3. On the other hand, my (Poetic) magnetic-wakeup case seems to now function reliably, whereas with 4.3 I needed to keep wifi "on" to wake-up when case was opened. Notifications appear instantly.

Not too big a problem (yet). I'll simply turn on N7 once in the AM and let mywake-up case do its thing during the rest of the day. Interested in seeing how this affects battery drain (less grain with KK I'm told).

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: KitKat Plus and Minus -- Your Experiences?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 08:36:50 AM »
I'm seeing fewer force closes, memory optimization is better. Free memory now is more than a gig, instead of around 400kB. Maybe it was a video buffer...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts