March 28, 2024, 11:44:42 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Reducing the bit rate on music?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Perigee

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Reducing the bit rate on music?
« on: December 04, 2013, 02:15:10 AM »
Hey guys;

Let me preface this by telling you that I'm an auld feller of 51, and my ears are past their prime.

With that in mind, and a new 32GB 7 on the way, I'm considering the best way to load out the beastie. When it comes to music, I'm a maniac - 4TB are racked up for the home comp - and I'd like to carry a decent selection onboard. I've been thinking that, since the onboard speakers are purported to be less than perfect, maybe I can save myself some space by reducing the bit rate on the stuff I load up to 160-ish, allowing me to double-up on my selections.

Good plan, or a mistake in the making? Any opinions? Thanks.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Reducing the bit rate on music?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:12:48 AM »
I would say that if your source audio has a bitrate of 256 kbps reducing it to 128 will half the size of your music collection and not be that noticeable using the internal speakers, but with good quality headphones you may not be as pleased. Click on the following link and scroll down and you will find a sample audio file at 32, 64, 128, & 256 kbps, sampling this with your Nexus 7, once it arrives, should answer your question and give you an idea of the space requirements for each bitrate.

http://forum.internet-radio.com/faq/2055-what-does-bitrate-mean.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline StewMc

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:20:45 AM »
Why bother? As long as you're on WIFI you have access to all your music, or at least 20,000 songs up on the Google cloud.

As for the speakers on the device. I personally never listen to music off the internal speakers. I am either using head phones, car speakers or using Chromecast to play through my home stereo.

My ramblings.

Stew

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Offline Perigee

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
Heyya, Stew;

Need to carry the stuff onboard - Baby is going to be my commuting go-to, daily from Philadelphia to Trenton, an hour plus change both ways on the train. You wouldn't know it to look at it, but a boatload of NJ is forest. Or Swampland. One way or another, there are vast stretches in the commute that don't even get cell signal.

I have considered continuing to bring along the iPod for the music portion, but with two cellphones (personal and company). an iPod and a tab, I'd start feeling like Batman. ~Grin~

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »
I've used 128 and then 64 with WMA coding; and 32 on MP3.  My 70+ ears could not tell the difference -- even with top-end earbuds.  With N7 internal speakers the quality is poor enough so that I'm sure any bit rate will be OK

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »
You could also spend $5 or so on an OTG cable.  Then you could bring a whole bunch of tunes on one or more flash drives.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 11:13:45 PM »
Another Philly member!  Nice! I would load everything I can on a stick at the best quality and use an otg cable with Nexus Media Importer if not rooted.

Sent from my Nexus 7

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts