March 28, 2024, 02:09:23 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Not yet a beginner questions for Nexus 7  (Read 2770 times)

Offline AlexBell

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Not yet a beginner questions for Nexus 7
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:21:11 PM »
I don't even have a Nexus 7 yet, but I expect to get one in 19 days and would like to get ready.  This is my first post on the forum, so forgive me if I've put it in the wrong place.

I expect to be using ebooks and music (mp3 files) that I already have, rather than buy from Google Play, but wonder how I can side load them, and whether what app I use will be able to read or hear them .

On an iPad2 if I want to see how one of the ebooks I have designed looks in iPad, Bluefire, and Marvin I have to load the ebook three times, once through each app. So far as I know once it's in the iBooks 'folder' there is no way to get to that ebook with one of the other apps without loading it through that app - in which case I have three copies of the same ebook on my iPad2.

Is it the same with a Nexus 7? If I want to check how an ebook looks on the Sony Android reader and with Moon+ and with the native Google ereader, and so on, will I have to load them through each individual reader? Or is there a way of loading an ebook into one 'folder' and then accessing that one ebook  with any of the ereader apps I have on the Nexus?

Will I be able to set up folders myself on the Nexus? If so, how do I do that?

How does one side load ones own ebooks to a Nexus anyway?

Thanks in advance for any advice, or pointers to where I can get the information. I'll probably have more questions still, so thanks in advance for your patience.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Not yet a beginner questions for Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:36:11 AM »
First of all, AlexBell, welcome to the forum.

Before addressing your questions, let me preface by saying, that one of the great benefits of Android over IOS, is that you will find multiple options for achieving most goals, rather than the Apple gate that you are accustomed to in IOS.

E-readers and folders => The Moon+ that you specified, creates its own folder and allows you to specify other folders. The other reading apps that I have used support this feature as well, but I do suggest buying the pro version of Moon+ Reader or the reader app of your choice, to have the full features of the app.

Copying local media and publications to the Nexus 7 =>  A task easily performed through multiple options.

MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) accomplished by connecting your tablet to a computer by a USB cable works quite well for copying content to the Nexus 7 using the Windows File Explorer. Just remember copying large amounts of data at one time may cause the transfer to fail and that copying from the Nexus 7 to the PC can be problematic as well. Although I have never experienced a problem in copying the "Top 40" list or a publication series with 5-6 books to my Nexus 7 with MTP.

Cloud transfer is another option, using DropBox or other Internet based storage.

WiFi transfer is another option using a number of apps at the Play Store.

Folder and File management => This task is again easily accomplished with any number of File Managers available at the Google Play Store.

As you can see, you are opening a whole new world with your Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:19:08 AM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline dominic

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 10:47:34 AM »
I 'd like to add that Moon Reader + reads both mobi (Kindle) and epub (Nook) books which is very convenient for anyone who has both book types.

Offline AlexBell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 05:57:47 PM »
Thanks to you both, that's most helpful and encouraging. I'd like to make make sure I understand a couple of points.

Suppose I make a folder and side load ebooks to it; will the Moon+ reader be able to find those ebooks?

Suppose I download an ebook through Moon+; can I choose which folder it goes to, or does it go to the Moon+ folder?

If it goes to the Moon+ folder will I be able to get into that folder with another ereader?

A new topic: Does Moon+ cope with DRM? Apprentice Alf helps me to cleanse ebooks defiled by DRM, so it's not too important to me, but I thought I'd check.

I design the ebooks I do as ePubs, and then convert them to azw3+mobi with calibre. It will be good to have another way to check them as well as my weary old Kindle Keyboard. When presented with a mobi ebook containing azw3 and mobi which version does Moon+ use?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 06:30:50 AM »
Tapping the file icon in Moon+ allows you to browse your file structure and open the book of your choice, at which point it is added to your bookshelf. Opening books from cloud storage adds them to the bookshelf as well, but editing the bookshelf is an easy task. Azw3 (Amazon's proprietary copy protected, aka DRM, derived from the mobi format) is not listed as a usable format in Moon+, but since I have not purchased any content from Amazon, I cannot say for sure. As I understand, the OP (Original Poster) is developing books in epub format and using Calibre to covert them to mobi and azw3 and verifies the formatting on a Kindle, so I would suggest downloading the Kindle app from the Play Store as a test platform for azw3 on the Nexus 7. Finally Moon+ does support the mobi format, pdf, and others. Perhaps other members of the forum have more experience with DRM content than me, and can add more information.

Offline AlexBell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:58:13 AM »
My wife gave me the Nexus 7 on our 51st anniversary today, rather than Christmas, and I'm having lots of problems.

I made a folder on the Nexus,  copied one of my ebooks over to the folder, and tried Moon+ Pro. The results were appalling. The CSS was completely ignored, and as it was a complex ebook containing poetry the results were nothing like when I checked the ebook on my Sony, Kobo, and iPad. Even when I was able to remove the option of ignoring CSS it the results were still very bad.

Is there an android ebook reader which is designed only for ePub, and which honours the CSS?

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 05:21:03 AM »
Try Aldiko Free it is supposed to support CSS better than most. Obviously Moon+Pro is working on the issue, as the last update added improved CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) support. Alex, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't proper support for CSS across multiple platforms a widespread issue in epublication development?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aldiko.android

Offline AlexBell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »
Thanks, S.Prime

I'm not sure about 'widespread difficulty' in CSS support, perhaps because my experience is limited. All I know from personal experience is that the stylesheet in my ebook is honoured on my Sony, Kobo Touch, and (after conversion) on my Kindle Keyboard. It is also honoured well with Marvin and Bluefire on my iPad2, and quite well with iBooks. So the ebook looks good to very good on these ereaders - nothing remotely like the appalling shambles the same ebook looked like with Moon+ Pro.

If there is a deficiency across platforms my limited experience so far indicates that it is confined to Android devices.  I accept without question that the native Android reader used by Google books produces good results. But I can't use that ereader on my ebook, only on theirs.

I also accept without question that my ebook is quite complex, (with long line poetry and so on) and that Moon+ Pro may work with dead simple novels and such. But even there it can't bold titles and headings or even use larger font size. For what it is worth I think that the developer of Moon+ has gone too far in trying for it to be all things for all formats, and has ended up by ensuring that it won't produce an acceptable result on anything.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman