collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 2014 or Nexus 8 2014 from HTC?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 2014 or Nexus 8 2014 from HTC?
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:36:20 AM »
Rumors swirl about the future of the Google Nexus Devices we have grown to love. The rumors range from Google turning over the  Nexus line to its manufacturing partners to a Nexus 8 made by Asus appearing in April 2014 and HTC manufacturing the next Nexus tablet. The following two links offer some interesting rumors, but for me, I think that our next Nexus tablet will be the 8 inch form factor and will be introduced at Google I/O in May or June. It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of our forum members on the next version of our Nexus Tablet.

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-nexus-tablet-343154/

http://androidspin.com/2014/02/07/rumour-nexus-8-launch-coming-end-april-due-poor-nexus-7-sales/#readsoruce_bottom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 2014 or Nexus 8 2014 from HTC?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »
There are also rumors that nexus will disappear, being supplanted by Google play edition devices. Part of a cross licensing deal with Samsung may be a no compete clause.  Waiting on actual facts.

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »
I place no credibility in rumors, but Google needs to raise its game if it wants to remain a player. My $60 tv stick has a quad core 1.6 Ghz CPU, and gets Antutu scores in the mid-18000s, unmodified.

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 04:03:48 AM »
I take anything I see from Digitimes with a big grain of salt.   The Nexus 8 rumor is based on an article they had about it but it says Asustek would again be the manufacturer.   I do think it's a possibility as I think that larger smart phones with 5 or 6 inch screens are starting to blur the lines between tablet and phone and might be cutting into Nexus 7 sales.   By making an 8 inch Nexus tablet it will more clearly define it as a tablet and differentiate it from large phones.  It also makes it more competitive with the 7.9 inch iPad Mini.   But considering the following they've developed with the Nexus 7 I'm not so sure they'd do it.  There's also a report today that HTC has been tapped to make the next Nexus 10...also from a report in Digitimes.    As Matt said, there's also a rumor that perhaps the Nexus brand will be ended and replaced solely with the Google Play Edition devices.   I'm not sure if I believe that either however.  Frankly, I don't know what to believe.  When Google actually says it...or we see some hard evidence like some leaked FCC docs or pics...then I'll believe.
If you like our community please spread the word and help us grow by providing a link from your site to Nexus7Forum.com

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »
I can see 8 inch replacing the 7 if it fits in the same form factor with smaller bezels. If Asus builds it, I hope they will use better flash memory. The hynix chips may be the cause of bootloops and even hard bricks.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
JayJ JayJ
2100 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1260 Posts