April 20, 2024, 08:25:54 AM

collapse

Author Topic: New Member, help me choose the Nexus 7 for my first tablet  (Read 1932 times)

Offline randy

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
New Member, help me choose the Nexus 7 for my first tablet
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »
I bought my 14 year old daughter a ASUS Memo pad 16gb tablet for her Birthday last month and she loves it, it cost me 149.00 and she can watch Netflix and facebook her friends, very good deal for her.  Now for me I'm wanting one, don't have a big budget but I can probably afford the Nexus 7 deals that are going on now, my only only draw back that I may see would be not being able to put in a micro SD card to keep songs or movies on to download and play on the Nexus 7.  Is this a real big issue for those of you who are tablet users?, also I've read on line that you can buy a OTG Cable to connect to the Nexus 7 that will accept the micro SD cards so that you can play movies or songs that you have downloaded onto other devices.  My only other option was the ASUS MEMO PAD 10.1 16GB which has the same resolution as the Nexus 7 and a quad core processor but is 40.00 more.  I would like some honest input and positives on both sides if any.  I am more of a novice in tablets and will mainly use it as a man toy to watch movies, listen to music and such, also if I were to download HD movies onto a 32 gb Nexus 7 how many would I be able to have on the tablet and still be able to add 2 gb's of music also without bogging down the tablet?  Thanks for all your input.

JayJ

Re: New Member, help me choose the Nexus 7 for my first tablet
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:10:55 PM »
I have no issues with storage on my 32Gb Nexus 7, as you say there are many options available to you including an SD Card reader and an OTG cable but trust me thumb drives are far cheaper.
As for music I'm an advocate of Google Play Music which is a cloud music player, you upload your music to Google's servers and away you go. If your worried about not having internet at times, worry not as Music can be cached to your Nexus 7 for offline listening.
As for now many, that really depends on the quality of the copy. 1080p? 720p? In other words how big the movie file is.
720p movies tend to be around a 1Gb, maybe a little more or a little less... But as a Nexus 7's internal storage is shared it's going to depends what else you gave on the device. A 32Gb Nexus 7 has about 26.76Gb of storage available, you'll have to account for installed applications and the your music so if you have around 1Gb of apps and 2Gb of music, you should get about 23 movies on the Nexus 7. As I said, it highly depends on what else is stored in the Nexus 7, games, other media et cetera and the fine size if those movies.

Personally, I add movies via a thumb drive, watch them and delete them anyway so as to make room for the next lot of media I want to put on my N7.

I see no issue with the lack of expandable storage on the Nexus 7 and it's a great device but the choice is yours.

Just out of curiosity, what Memo Pad did you buy your daughter?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk Pro

Offline randy

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »
I bought my daughter the ASUS Memo Pad HD 7" 16gb, Office Depot had them on sale a week before her Birthday for 129.00 and they didn't have any left when I went to the store and none on line, but I didn't think hard and fast to realize Walmart will accept other store adds in the area and match them, so I paid 149.00 for it and the 2 year drop and spill warrantee...she's already dropped the device and it now has a crack on it, still works but I might just take it back.  I went and bought the ASUS Memo Pad FHD 10.1", it has the same resolution as the Nexus 7, don't think the DPI or processor is as good but it seems to be very nice.  Paid 279.00 at Office depot + 59.00 for drop and spills which came to around 350.00 all together.  Haven't had it very long, got it last Saturday and I do have a 14 day period to try it out and see if I really like it.  May take it back in a week or so and try the Nexus 7, I figure before 14 days are up I can at least make up my mind on which one.  You mentioned using Thumb drives, do you use them on your Nexus 7?, and I suppose that you would have to do this through the OTG cable is this correct?  Also when storing movies or music on either a micro SD Card or thumb drive is the quality the same?, and does it matter if it is a regular device or class 4 or class 10?  I was told that it really doesn't matter on movies and music that much, it makes more of a difference on photography and video photography with HD Digital SLR.  By the way my 14 yr. old loves her tablet, but when she saw mine she thought mine was huge compared with hers. 

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:34:40 PM »
I have played movies from my thumb drive  by OTG without issues and have made it a practice to purchase class 10 sd-cards, just to insure the best speed possible. I must admit that I am rooted, and I use StickMount and I have not used the Play Store non rooted program for OTG.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 08:19:37 PM »
Yes randy, you'd use an OTG cable with a the drive as you would a card reader. As Prime has mentioned I too am rooted and use an app called Stickmount but there is also Nexus Media Importer.
Yes the quality is the same wherever the media is stored  but if your playing movies directly from a card then a class 10 is recommended, read speeds are faster. That's another reason I prefer Thumb drives, no need to worry about class.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk Pro

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts