March 28, 2024, 09:04:05 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Watching MKV movie files from a external hard drive  (Read 1826 times)

Offline sizo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Watching MKV movie files from a external hard drive
« on: March 17, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »
Hi All,

Looking to buy a 7inch tablet to play MKV movies (each around 10GB in size) off an external hard drive, and it seems that the 2012 Nexus 7 would be the best choice for me if i can do the following?

Use any 5400RPM external hard drive (loaded with MKV movies) and connect via mini-usb
Use Nexus Media Importer App to stream the films to be played using MX Player App.

Is it possible to use MX player to play a MKV that will then be streamed via the Nexus Media Importer App?

I dont really want to have to copy the MKV files to local storage each time.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for the help!

Simon
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:33:34 PM by sizo »

JayJ

Re: Watching MKV movie files from a external hard drive
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »
This can be done but you'll need an external power supply if the external HDD doesn't have it's own power supply. To do this you'd either need a powered USB hub or an external battery pack. If you go the battery pack route you'd also need one of the "Y" OTG cables so as to power the external HDD whilst connected to your Nexus 7.
Personally I found this all to be somewhat of a nightmare having to carry all the extra parts required so I bought myself a Seagate Wireless Plus.

I think you can use MX Player in conjunction with Nexus Media Importer but I'm unsure as my devices are rooted and before purchasing the Wireless Plus I used Stickmount.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 03:34:25 PM by JayJ »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt