March 28, 2024, 12:15:37 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Writing a Book on the Nexus 7  (Read 2421 times)

Offline erik

• Popularity: -2
    • View Profile
Writing a Book on the Nexus 7
« on: July 26, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »
Hey All,

I'll be releasing a book on the Nexus 7 by mid-August. I've been diving pretty deeply into using my Nexus 7, and so far I'm incredibly impressed by all that $199 gets you.

I decided it would make sense to come here and participate as much as I can on these forums.  **edited by admin**

I'm looking forward to participating in this forum and making some new friends.

-Erik
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:28:23 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Writing a Book on the Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:18:40 AM »
Welcome :)  Have you written any other tech books?  If so which ones?  Maybe some of us have them on our shelves...

Also good to hear a N7 book is on its way.  The N7 has LOTS of nooks and crannies that aren't often highlighted, so this will be great for newcomers.

Offline erik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »
Thanks, @Samalex. I've written a bunch of 86/286/386 clone PC manuals after I finished college. And I briefly was a contract tech writer at Apple for a Hypercard-type programming environment that never shipped. I've spent most of my career writing books about animal agribusiness and vegetarianism, and I publish Vegan.com.

I've owned an iPad for the past couple of years but there was something about the Nexus 7 that really appealed to me. It's going to take me a long time to gain the skill-set to understand its more esoteric features, but it looked to me like nobody was writing much about it for the newbie audience. I doubt many people on this site would want a book as basic as the one I'm writing. It's more a book for your mothers and fathers who've never owned a tablet, and who think that the cloud is where birds Twitter.

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:36:37 AM »
Totally OT but I used to be completely in love with Hypercard, so great to see someone else who appreciated it back in the day :) 

But definitely a basic books about the Nexus 7 would be great for those who don't have their heads in the tech world.  It's quite honestly an amazing little device, and I'd think many more would jump into one if they had the manual you're talking about writing. 

So definitely keep us updated as it evolves ...

Offline erik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »
@samalax That's great to hear you were big into Hypercard. It was such an amazing tool. I created a huge stack called "VegieCard" about 20 years ago. It was really the first big project I ever completed as an adult. Also, about eight years ago, Dan Winkler was my landlord for half a year.

My book's finished and the copy has been corrected and I just need to port the text to ePub. I'm hoping it'll be available from Google Play within the week. I've had a few non-techie friends read it and they really enjoyed it. Now they all want Nexus 7s :)

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman