March 28, 2024, 09:07:26 AM

collapse

Author Topic: HDMI Output  (Read 21916 times)

Offline jcalbano

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
HDMI Output
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »
Does anyone know how Google demonstrated the ability to show the device screen on a large screen display. Like to project my device to the TV.

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: HDMI Output
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:14:51 PM »
It might have been wireless as I didn't notice a cable in video.  But, that said, I do believe some dev tabs and oversea tabs do have a micro-HDMI port.  Not us, but thank God for the micro-USB.  We can hopefully use it for an HDMI converter and a SDCard reader.

Possible, yes, known, not yet..I wish someone from Google I/O (who has a Nexus 7) could try the above adapters (if they have them, maybe asking for too much) and let us know if they work with the micro-USB.  I had heard it does have MHL, so that would be great.  We can only hope!
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:53:58 PM »
Sorry, the MHL is apparently not there, so no HDMI unless someone comes up with a pogo pin adapter or dock.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:55:32 PM by Drew »
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
What exactly is a pogo pin adaptor?
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Sorry, I should not have called it that.  I'm old and senile!!  Not really an adapter, but what hooks up to the pins on the bottom of a device (like a dock), which in this case would be USB/power outlet.

I wish I could remember the site where I saw the video, but it showed a Nexus 7 that had a micro-HDMI output on the bottom near the USB/power (developer/oversea models).  Has anyone else seen this or is my senility kicking in again?  Only reason is I'm thinking the hardware would be there for HDMI.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:59:02 AM by Drew »

Offline jcalbano

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »
Thanks for writing in. No, the device does not support video out. The Nexus 7 demo was done in conjunction with the Nexus Q.  Here is some more information about the Nexus Q.

About Nexus Q:

Nexus Q combines the power of Android and Google Play - and is the first ever social streaming device. Nexus Q streams music and videos directly from Google Play and YouTube to the best speakers and screen in the house. It has a state of the art, audiophile-grade amplifier built in so you can hook your speakers right up and at 25 watts, this small sphere can really fill a room with beautiful, clear, crisp sound.
This is why we made Nexus Q the first ever social streaming media player: it’s a cloud-connected jukebox where everyone brings their own music to the party. Fall in love with listening to music again.

* Nexus Q encourages social interactions - music is often best enjoyed with friends, Nexus Q allows everyone to bring their music, movies and Youtube videos to the party

* Nexus Q has optical digital audio and micro HDMI outputs, so you can stream music and 1080p video to the best speakers and the best TV in your home.

Offline chotis

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »
Thanks for writing in. No, the device does not support video out. The Nexus 7 demo was done in conjunction with the Nexus Q.

That's a good theory.  However, that wouldn't explain how they showed a demo of the Google Maps "Compass View" feature.  Check out this part of the keynote that shows the feature:

Nexus Q is for streaming content from Google Play.  So how did they do that demo?  Also, you definitely can see that the tablet is wired during that demo.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 09:25:25 AM »
It's very common for demo devices during tradeshows to be modified in order to show the content on a big screen.  If they don't specifically mention that video out ability during the Keynote then it's highly unlikely its meant as part of the consumer version of the device.   But that doesn't mean that there won't be a hack eventually that will allow some kind of video out.  Just might take a few weeks or months for it to show up.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 12:57:02 AM »
It looks like the first dock will be coming out (audio only).

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/46308/asus-nexus-7-audio-dock

Apparently, the 7 has four docking connectors on the side and will sit horizontally on this dock.  I wonder what else you can do with these docking connectors?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:05:04 AM by Drew »

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 12:06:35 PM »
I really hope they add a dock with HDMI out because that'd make this unit completely perfect!  The Nexus 7 has everything I wish my Kindle Fire had except of the HDMI out, so that'd just be some sweet icing :) 

Offline tsruggles

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 08:33:31 PM »
The four gold dots are pogo pins and are not capable of outputting video. I called Google and at first the rep told me that it would put video out via a micro usb to hdmi cable. I asked him to verify this and he went to actually test this on a tablet. He came back and had been told to tell me that this capability was not supported. He said that if it did work, the device was not designed to do so. I suspect they want to sell their Q.

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
The four gold dots are pogo pins and are not capable of outputting video. I called Google and at first the rep told me that it would put video out via a micro usb to hdmi cable. I asked him to verify this and he went to actually test this on a tablet. He came back and had been told to tell me that this capability was not supported. He said that if it did work, the device was not designed to do so. I suspect they want to sell their Q.

That's what I'm thinking, they didn't add it in hopes that the Q would sell, but honestly I doubt most people would spend $299 so they could output video from a $199 device.  I hope someone adds this to a dock or something else, even if it's not Google sanctioned, because video out is the one thing keeping me from calling the N7 perfect.  I mean heck it's just one more connector on the motherboard...  Maybe someone will find a way to add it since Android supports it natively.

Offline tsruggles

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 06:22:58 PM »
You should be able to search the topic. I'm not sure what forum I was reading but it was a general consensus that the components were not installed (based on ifixit's teardown) and that it was unlikely that video output would be capable. I'll try and find the thread for your viewing displeasure.

I'm not sure offhand of this forums rules, but in an effort to be compliant, this is how to find more technical information on this issue. Go to the world largest developer forum and search for the topic "TV out via MHL yes or no"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:30:31 PM by tsruggles »

Offline halibaitor

• Popularity: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 09:28:41 PM »
Reading the various forums on this issue reveals massive confusion by almost everybody. 

My take on this is as follows:  Android itself supports the function, as other devices have HDMI output, one way or another.  What is probably missing is just a driver to support it.  If that is indeed the case, then a rooted N7 will have the ability, with the proper software installed and a USB to HDMI converter.

Is that a good guess?

Offline tsruggles

• View Profile
Re: Re: HDMI Output
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 09:41:03 PM »
Reading the various forums on this issue reveals massive confusion by almost everybody. 

My take on this is as follows:  Android itself supports the function, as other devices have HDMI output, one way or another.  What is probably missing is just a driver to support it.  If that is indeed the case, then a rooted N7 will have the ability, with the proper software installed and a USB to HDMI converter.

Is that a good guess?

If you read what I read (see my previous post) it seems that the issue is deeper than just software and an external converter. Does this forum allow links to other forms? If not, just read my last posting.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman