March 28, 2024, 05:19:02 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Will not turn on  (Read 7140 times)

Offline paxham

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Will not turn on
« on: August 03, 2014, 09:27:12 AM »
I bought my Nexus 7 one or two years ago.  It was my first (and only) tablet.  The price was right and it was highly rated.  I was very excited to get it.  For one reason or another I migrated to my Galaxy Note II smartphone which was easier to carry and did everything I used my Nexus 7 for and more (like making phone calls and having 4G).  This isn't about which is better though.  I liked my Nexus 7, but found I could do with carrying one less device.  The only problem (and till now not a big one) was that the power button seemed faulty.  I found I had to hold it 5 or 10 seconds (or more) and make two or three tries to get it to power on.  This wasn't that much of a problem as I left it on most of the time.  It was more of an annoyance, but lately I have left my Nexus off for a month or more at a time.  I simply had too many alternatives to get online, my old DroidX2 which I use as a wifi media center and clock radio,  my Chromebook for browsing and Netflix, my Note II for on the go FaceBooking, email etc, and my desktop, which I use for serious work and composing.   After I left my Nexus of for the last 6 weeks I have found I can't power it on.  I've tried several different charging stations which work on my phone and get no reaction.  I can't tell whether it is the battery or the power switch, but right now it is dead as a brick.  I was hoping to sell it to a friend for $100 bucks which seemed a fair price.  Other than the occasional trouble of powering it on I never had a single problem with it.  I'm afraid repairs will wipe out and profit I can make from this and may not truly fix the problem.

Any advice on how I should proceed?

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Will not turn on
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:24:53 AM »
When you try to charge, do you get the battery animation? If you have access to a qi charger it may beep to indicate charging (to eliminate usb port failure). when attached to a computer do any drivers load and is the tablet recognized as nexus 7? Mine takes around 5 seconds to start booting holding power button from off state. Try holding power button for several minutes while charging. I'm suspecting the contacts for the power switch may have corroded due to humidity and the battery has discharged so much due to non-use the charging circuit won't activate.

Sent from my Le Pan TC1020 using Tapatalk

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:29:43 AM »
I leave all my tablets on the charger when possible, the internal circuitry will limit voltage when maximum charge is reached.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
Oh, and if at all possible check your warranty first, did you get an extended warranty? The 2013 n7 was first offered in july last year, and you posted in that section. If you have a 2012 the battery discharge problem has been addressed elsewhere, one possible solution being to jump start the battery directly so that the charging circuit can activate.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:50:12 AM by matt »

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 03:16:03 PM »
I get no animation at all, no sign of life.  I've left it plugged in for hours/days to no effect.  This is probably a 1st gen as I purchased it over a year ago.  I wouldn't have a clue on how to jump start it.

Plugging it in and hold the power button also has no effect on it.

Forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to pop off the back and check the battery or the contacts?

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:14:31 PM »
Heres's a link to one thread in the correct section. http://www.Nexus7Forum.com/index.php?topic=3590.0
Really Dead Nexus 7

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »
Do you have a computer?

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »
"Do I still l have a computer?"

Several.  I am using one now.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »
When you plug the tablet into the computer, is it recognized? Does a driver load? If not the battery is probably discharged.

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 07:22:03 PM »
I get no reaction from my computer when I connect the N7.  I'm reading the other thread now.  It will take awhile to wade through the advice.  I'll report back.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
Or a bad cable, or usb jack. Disregard qi charger for 2012.

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »
Followed the first video on the other thread.  Managed to pop the back easily and validate the video was plugged in correctly.  2nd possibility could be a bad battery.  There a link over there I am just starting to dig into.  This piece of advice keeps popping up.

"Pulling the battery and/or doing a full Factory Reset is the fix for the vast majority of N7 users."

All of this is uncharted waters.  Perhaps I can find a local hobbyist that likes to tinker.  I might be able to take it apart, but I'm not too confident about putting it back together.  Not too happy with the state of things.  It worked reliably for so long and had very little use.  I had expected/hoped it would keep on ticking.  The good news is I haven't been depending on it, but I'd hoped it had some value left in it.  I may consult my friendly neighborhood repair shop.  They special in IPads and IPhones.  I think they will be good for some advice.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 06:17:18 AM »
I believe pulling the battery just means disconnecting and reconnecting. When not using the tab for quite a while it would be better to power it down than putting to sleep. Charging limbo.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2137652
[Q] Flat batteried Nexus 7.....battery connector pinouts?

sent by mirrorflash Morse code

Offline paxham

• View Profile
Re: Will not turn on - Raised from the dead!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 03:28:32 PM »
After one attempt to order a replacement battery from Ebay (bid cancelled) I lost interest and put my N7 on the shelf to gather dust.  I didn't want to deal with Ebay in the first place, but while doing some post Christmas shopping I found an $18 replacement battery on Amazon which I do like to deal with.  The battery just came and I easily installed it via a YouTube video.  It was the proverbial piece of cake.  It powered up in seconds and after nearly a year I have a "like new" Nexus 7 to play with.  How 'bout that?!

I thought you might like to hear a story with a happy ending.  :)

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman