2012 Nexus 7 Discussion Forums (1st Generation) > Nexus 7 Root, Hacks, Mods And Development

Using adb pull without rooting Nexus7 (2012)

(1/5) > >>

chaikenj:
I want to copy a file from my Nexus7 (2012) before I root the Nexus7.  The file is said to be in /data/misc/wifi, but adb shell won't give me permission for the root data directory and the su command is "not found".  I just want to gain permission to pull a file in the /data directory, or to be a rooted user or a super-user temporarily. Is this impossible to do without rooting the Nexus7?
  The situation seems like catch-22, since if I root my Nexus 7, the file I want will have disappeared.
Any advice?

matt:
Look under sdcard/data/misc/WiFi with file explorer? The data folder under root directory is empty on mine. You should be able to read and copy but not write to protected folders.

Sent from my Le Pan TC1020 using Tapatalk

chaikenj:
If your Nexus7, like mine, is not rooted, you can't see any content in the root data directory.  There are other wifi subdirectories on sdcard and elsewhere that have a file with the name I am seeking (wpa_supplicant.conf), but these files are just templates that don't have the current information that I am seeking.  I am trying to get it from the wifi subdirectory inside the root data directory.

matt:
Yer right, just tried on my rooted 2013. Are you using adb from a computer or a terminal app?

sent by mirrorflash Morse code

matt:
That file seems to store all the WiFi passwords, under system settings/ backup and restore, there is an option to backup WiFi passwords to Google's servers.

Sent from my Le Pan TC1020 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version