March 29, 2024, 08:29:44 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Battery calibration/conditioning  (Read 6919 times)

Offline skinzz

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Battery calibration/conditioning
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:34:46 AM »
hi i managed to get a 16gb nexus 7 the other day and i fully charged it soon as i took it out the box, its still on 1st charge down to about 30% im just wondering do i need to prolong battery life everyone says different things about batteries , let it run down all the time ?or shall i charge it when it gets to a certail level ?

chris

Zell

Battery calibration/conditioning
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »
Recharge it again at 30 percent for the next 5-6 charges. Let it drain to 100 percent once a month.

Offline skinzz

• View Profile
Re: Battery calibration/conditioning
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:09:06 PM »
I charged it fully to100% on first charge took about 3hours, I didn't see your post let it Run down to 15% then fully charged again I got about 12 hours batt before it went down to 15%

Chris

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 01:28:49 PM »
For the lithium polymer (not lithium ion) batteries we have in our tablets, the consensus is not to ever fully discharge them.  Most will say recharge when there is 15-20% left.  I've had the best life spans by exercising the batteries frequently (e.g. try to avoid using it while plugged in) and when dormant for awhile trying to leave in the 40-60% charged range.

I don't have a better reference for this, other than the 5 years or so I've spent flying RC planes and helicopters that also use li-po batteries.
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Offline oliface

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »
Just let the device run flat every few weeks. Do this with any rechargeable device, like your phone. =)

Offline whysoserious_058

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »
i sent my first device back for the screen lift but when i had it the battery life was great and it recharged in a fairly decent amount of time.  the replacement is charging so slow, in fact when i turned it off it was at 25% and i plugged it up, when i turned it back on it was at 23%.  Plugged it back in and turned off wifi and locked screen and now its recharging but ever so slowly.  Any ideas?

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 01:55:51 AM »
Some people are saying their N7 is fuzzy when it comes to charging.  Either that or you are extremely unlucky with tablets.  ;)

Try turning your N7 off (after you plug it in).  You might also try a hard reset.  If those don't work, maybe your third N7 will be a charm (return it).  Either the battery or the charger is defective, assuming you are using the charger it came with and are plugging it in to a wall outlet, not a computer USB.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:20:28 AM by Drew »
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 02:57:39 AM »
Have to agree with Frank here, I've been into RC cars for a few years now and learnt that Lithium Polymer batteries (Li-Po) should not be over charged but more importantly shouldn't be over discharged. Where that leaves us with the N7's Lithium Ion (Li-Ion), well Li-Ions wear out quickly with regular full discharges so if you want your N7's battery to last longer then I suggest you don't discharge it fully.

Have a read of this: batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:59:07 AM by JayJ »

Offline whysoserious_058

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 04:46:03 AM »
I went ahead and unsealed the package I was going to send back and swapped out the charger and usb, BINGO!!  Sending the defective charger or USB back with the defective unit... Thanks for all the outstanding posts guys/gals.  Put the old charger on the new unit and went from 46% to 97% in a matter of an hour or so, glad I encountered the problem before it was too late.

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »
One thing to note is that the battery seems relatively easy to replace, so maybe all this discussion isn't QUITE as critical as for other devices.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/07/03/nexus-7-torn-down-battery-found-to-be-easily-replaced/
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Google-Nexus-7-Battery-p-22598.html#

Offline brunapereira

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 02:08:58 AM »
I think it is the problem of that special battery. Always keep in mind while you use new phone let blank full battery after that charge it fully then again let him blank and charge it always helpful for good battery life.
mobi ritz

Offline LeoRex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
It's easy... I popped the back off a DOA unit I got a while back and it is sitting right on top with a single connector.  Should swap in minutes

Sent from my SCH-I200

Offline pgarne01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »
Related (I hope) question.  What about the "lipstick" battery packs?  Actually been thinking more about one to keep in my car for my phone emergencies.  Are they "seen" as a (USB/AC) charger by the device or somehow "bypass" battery presence detection.

Also, I listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of movies at my desk and  I'm curious to know a little more about not using my tablet while charging.    Makes sense for an RC heli but why not a Nexus?

Thanks 1*10^6

Pete

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt