March 29, 2024, 02:25:52 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Uses for the Micro USB Port?  (Read 11818 times)

Offline erik

• Popularity: -2
    • View Profile
Uses for the Micro USB Port?
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:41:37 PM »
I bought a Micro USB Male to USB A Female Adapter and have successfully hooked up my Nexus 7 to a USB keyboard. But given that an unrooted Nexus 7 doesn't support thumb drives, I'm wondering what other uses this port has—especially since they don't exactly make tons of drivers for the Nexus 7. Is anyone here using the USB port for anything other than a keyboard?

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: Uses for the Micro USB Port?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:03:15 AM »
You can use it as you would any USB except for storage (unless rooted). The main use would probably be transferring info/pics/music to and from a computer
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline erik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:34:51 AM »
Drew, have you managed to transfer photos from a camera to the Nexus 7? I have the necessary USB adapters but I don't see any way to get the Nexus 7 to recognize my camera. I'm thinking the same restrictions against the Nexus 7 accessing thumb drives and flash storage apply here. But please let me know if I'm mistaken, if this task can in fact be accomplished through an unrooted Nexus 7.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:43:07 AM »
I wrote a front page article all about the microUSB here that will answer most of your questions:  http://nexus7forum.com/index.php?topic=336.0
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:05:49 AM »
Drew, have you managed to transfer photos from a camera to the Nexus 7? I have the necessary USB adapters but I don't see any way to get the Nexus 7 to recognize my camera. I'm thinking the same restrictions against the Nexus 7 accessing thumb drives and flash storage apply here. But please let me know if I'm mistaken, if this task can in fact be accomplished through an unrooted Nexus 7.

I haven't, simply because I am still waiting for my adapter for micro to micro...for now, I transfer camera to laptop and then to N7.  I will let you know when I get it, unless someone else responds with their experience.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:37:34 AM »
Adapter arrived this morning and it works!

When I plug it in it brings up Gallery and my camera is one of the albums (squares).  I don't know if it matters, but I have a Canon and my app is Camera Launcher for Nexus 7.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:39 AM »

I used Dropbox : https://www.dropbox.com/ and I was able to transfer pics very easily.  Give it a try.

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline Kyi

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
I highly suggest everyone pick one of these up (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006XL26TS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00), you don't have to use this specific brand but make sure its an OTG cable. I'm not sure of all of the uses, but I know you can use this to hook up cameras, hard drives (not sure if it needs to be rooted), and the reason why I am getting mine: using the Playstation 3 controller to play games on the device. Of course, you will also need the USB to Mini B cable as well, which you should already have if you have PS3 controllers.

Offline erik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
BFM, I read your article and it was really helpful.

A couple questions:

1) I assume a female USB to male micro-USB adapter is not inherently an OTG cable, and that if I want to hook up cameras and flash drives I'll need to buy an OTG cable. Am I correct?

2) Once I own an OTG cable, must my Nexus 7 be rooted/jailbroken in order to access my camera or thumb drive? Drew, if you're reading this, could you let us know if your Nexus 7 is jailbroken?

Thanks so much, everyone! This thread has been super helpful.

Offline erik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »
I did a bit more digging in regard to my first question and discovered that not all female usb to male micro USB adapters are OTG. So I just bought an OTG version of this adapter.

One remaining question: I assume that in addition to being able to hook up thumb drives or cameras, this adapter can do everything a non-OTG adapter can do. In other words, I could use this OTG adapter to hook up a USB keyboard. Am I correct on this matter?

Offline Kyi

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
I believe you will be able to use most USB devices with the otg cable but not sure if the device has to be rooted.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »

2) Once I own an OTG cable, must my Nexus 7 be rooted/jailbroken in order to access my camera or thumb drive? Drew, if you're reading this, could you let us know if your Nexus 7 is jailbroken?

Thanks so much, everyone! This thread has been super helpful.

No, no jailbreak, no root, just stock N7.  Do you think it is the camera launcher I mentioned earlier?  I can't think of anything else that would be different.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 04:29:17 PM »
I know the OTG USB cable link is everywhere, but I just couldn't resist when I saw the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Adapter-Compatible-Google-Nexus/dp/B008MI79HO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1343687057&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+otg+nexus+7

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »
Thanks for the link, Drew.  I ordered a USB OTG cable minutes ago.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 06:49:53 PM »
Sure, I hope the quality is good.  I bet these are all from the same manufacturer.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman