March 29, 2024, 08:34:23 AM

collapse

Author Topic: How Important is the 16GB?  (Read 8156 times)

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
How Important is the 16GB?
« on: June 28, 2012, 08:28:50 PM »
I've got the 8GB version coming but I wonder if I should have gone for the 16GB... My thinking was thus: I don't plan on storing a lot of movies or space-hogging content on board, just mostly surfing, listening to music, etc. so I'm hoping that I won't need all that much mem.  This will be my first tablet so I don't really know how I'll be using it on a daily basis.  If money were no object then maybe I would have gone for Galaxy or one of the high-end, expensive models.  But price did enter into my decision to go with the Nexus.  Am I just fooling myself?

radio

Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline Eddie1551

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: How Important is the 16GB?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »
Hi radio,

I think you've made the right choice on your tablet. From the looks of it, it should come with about 6-6.5GB of space free. And don't forget you will have the cloud to use and you should be able to buy a cheap micro-USB to USB cord and a SD card adapter or flash drive, that's what I'm going to do.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:41:28 PM »
Hi radio,

I think you've made the right choice on your tablet. From the looks of it, it should come with about 6-6.5GB of space free. And don't forget you will have the cloud to use and you should be able to buy a cheap micro-USB to USB cord and a SD card adapter or flash drive, that's what I'm going to do.

Sounds good Eddie, thanks for the input!

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline Eddie1551

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Hi radio,

r

You're quite welcome, that's what I'm here for.

If you need anything else feel free to post again or PM me.

:)

Offline spacemonkey

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:20:24 PM »
I'm a real tablet dummy with a question:  Are you sure that you can utilize a USB drive or micro sd as you have suggested?  Doesn't the internal software have to be properly configured for that to work?  It would have been so cheap IMHO to include a micro sd socket that it seems really strange to me that Google didn't do so.  It only makes sense if they're doing everything possible to point users to the cloud, in which case not allowing external storage might seem [from their viewpoint] to make sense.  So I just wonder...

Further:  If the USB or micro sd devices can be used as you suggest what sizes are supported?  IOW, what is the max size USB or micro sd card that it will use?

For me the absence of a micro sd port means I'll wait and see instead of jumping on it right now.  There should be other choices out soon.

Thanks,
James

Hi radio,

r

Offline Joeysarasota

• Popularity: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Not important at all. Research Google Drive. Access your photos, documents and movies via wifi. 5GB FREE, 25GB $2.50 per month. 100GB $5 per month. Works GREAT.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Google offered a 32GB version eventually.  Probably not till 2013 but inevitably it will.  But let's be honest, they definitely want to encourage users to keep the majority of their apps, music and other content in the cloud with only their most popular items on the actual tablet.   But with this hardware it's still a great deal.  The Tegra 3 and 1280x 800 screen along with Asus build quality raise this above any 7 inch tablet out now.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline halibaitor

• Popularity: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »
Are you sure that you can utilize a USB drive or micro sd as you have suggested?  Doesn't the internal software have to be properly configured for that to work?

Yes, the internal structure and software must be properly configured for the USB to function.  If they aren't however, the proper name for the "USB port" would be "charging socket". (Which i remember someone saying is all it can do.)  That however would make the tablet almost completely worthless.

The only problem we seem to have is that Google has not put the drivers for external storage in the operating system.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:35:44 PM by halibaitor »

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »
I did order the 16 Gig version because I plan on caching lots of maps as I travel plus keeping a fair amount of podcasts on the device for when I'm on the road.  For now i use my DroidX for all this, which also has 16 gigs of ram, but I'd LOVE to have a larger display, especially for maps. 

Offline Shaiy007

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
As for now, the usb does not recognize external memory. :-(

Offline urban1

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 08:55:48 PM »
I know there isn't a lot of information yet, but, wouldn't you be able to access your home computer using USB like you can do with most phones now?

Bob

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 09:34:52 PM »
Yes, you can hook it up to your computer or external mouse, keyboard, etc.

Just no storage at the moment, such as a SDCard or portable USB drive.

That is all subject to change as the 7 heads into the hands of creatives out there (who will hopefully share on this forum). ;)
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline halibaitor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:46:03 PM »
I know there isn't a lot of information yet, but, wouldn't you be able to access your home computer using USB like you can do with most phones now?

Bob

YES...  Check page 69 on the Nexus 7 Guidebook.  It tells you how to move files in both directions from your home computer.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 10:00:30 PM »
I mentioned this elsewhere but the Nexus 7 has already been rooted and 'StickMount' has already been installed by a hacker onto his Nexus 7 and he says that he is able to use a standard usb flash drive with it. 
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline halibaitor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »
I mentioned this elsewhere but the Nexus 7 has already been rooted and 'StickMount' has already been installed by a hacker onto his Nexus 7 and he says that he is able to use a standard usb flash drive with it.

That's kinda what I thought it would take...  Nice to know for sure that it works.   8)

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman