March 28, 2024, 02:17:27 PM

collapse

Author Topic: GPS W/O WIFI?  (Read 17603 times)

Offline ldfeat

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
GPS W/O WIFI?
« on: July 31, 2012, 05:29:57 AM »
Just got the N7 and I'm an old fart (sometimes technically challenged) and curious if anyone knows if this thing can do GPS navigation without being connected to WIFI?  TIA

Larry

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: GPS W/O WIFI?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:34:34 AM »
It cannot unless you save  the maps offline

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 07:20:40 AM »
I've done some limited trials with navigation. The difficulty is that neither your google maps nor your navigation programs will allow you to set a destination offline. You must do that prior to leaving your WiFi location, plus you must also have downloaded the local map where you are driving.

The gps part of your nexus 7 works fine offline. It's the map database that causes problems in offline navigation operation.

I had hoped to be able use google maps offline, but these limitations mentioned above limit its usefulness to me. My normal driving consist of multi 100 mile trips, google maps' inability to let me change destinations offline is severely limiting.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 07:55:52 AM »
Well it isn't just Google maps. Apple devices are the same way but they don't even let you download maps. The only device that can give you directions offline is an actual GPS device like a garmin or TomTom

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:03:34 AM »
Just to clarify, you can get turn by turn directions offline but you need to set it up online. For instance, I went on a trip recently. When and if I needed to change destinations, I had to pull into a MacDonalds or some other free wifi hotspot to do that. Otherwise, my turn by turn directions worked just fine.

It's not exactly ideal, but works well if your trip is long.

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »
I'd encourage anyone interested in GPS to try out the free versions of NavFree and CoPilot.
Both will allow map downloads and work with GPS only (no wifi) as you drive.  You can also setup up a new destination and get directions without wifi.

I used NavFree USA for a recent Minnesota trip and the turn by turn directions were nice, but I had 2 instances where the address it took me to was not the true address. 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.USA (in USA)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL (other)

Have not had a chance to try CoPilot just yet.  Seems more polished but I don't believe the free version does voice instructions.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.mapviewer

Offline erik

• Popularity: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
My experience so far with the Navigation app is that I can easily set it before leaving the house to give me driving directions to wherever I'm going. And as long as I drive straight there and don't veer from those directions I'm fine.

But if I deviate from the suggested route, the Navigation app isn't smart enough to readjust my route to get me to my destination.

Finally, once I reach my destination, I cannot get turn-by-turn directions home unless I access a wifi network. I can, however, retrace my route without receiving turn-by-turn directions, following the blue route on the display back to my home.

Does my experience using the Navigation app line up with everyone else's?

Offline bsntech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 04:43:38 PM »
The CoPilot GPS free version does NOT do voice nor turn-by-turn.  It allows you to see where you are going - but it requires you to push a "<<" or ">>" icon on either side of the map to move to the next turn.

The CoPilot Live Premium USA does turn-by-turn and voice navigation.  I think it is worth the small cost to download the US maps all at once (instead of individual states).  It does 3D as well - like a TomTom.  CoPilot does also include POI with the maps.

The other good one is Sygic - although it is much more expensive ($50+).  But, they supposedly use TomTom maps and POI information.  They offer a 14-day trial if you install it - although you do have to download the stats individually.  This is more similar to a typical GPS screen - as it shows how fast you are going (mph) and has an easier method of location input (in my opinion).

Brian S.
http://www.bsntech.com

Offline Undo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »
re: erik

With Navfree I experienced none of those limitations. Setting a brand new destination was my only problem.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:47:21 PM by Undo »

Offline bsntech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »
Have you experienced any lock-ups or issues with NavFree USA?

I tried NavFree USA, and had some issues.  I would get to the point of enter the cross street or house number - and either as I was entering it - or just after it was entered, NavFree USA would always shut down and take me back to the home screen.

That was certainly the deal breaker for me - otherwise NavFree seemed to be a viable option as well.

Offline Undo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 12:11:45 AM »
Have you experienced any lock-ups or issues with NavFree USA?

I tried NavFree USA, and had some issues.  I would get to the point of enter the cross street or house number - and either as I was entering it - or just after it was entered, NavFree USA would always shut down and take me back to the home screen.

I haven't used it that much but don't recall any such lockups. I'll be giving a good test again in a couple weeks.

Offline hutruc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »
It cannot unless you save  the maps offline

Try Sygic Nav , its working like stand alone GPS on my Nexus Tablet very good layout too  ;)

Offline bsntech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 04:02:45 PM »
Sygic is probably the best one that I have found as well - although there is a cost for it.  It is only a 14-day trial - and then you have to pay approximately $30 for it (they are in EUROS).

CoPilot Live Premium USA is pretty good for the cost of $9.99 in the Play store.

Offline allotesting

• View Profile
GPS W/O WIFI?
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
tried sygic on Nexus7 and on Asus transformer Infinity and it is working really good

Offline bsntech

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 07:16:13 AM »
I found out something about CoPilot yesterday that wasn't too pleasing - although many individuals won't find this as an issue.

Eventually, the Nexus 7 I have will be used in the car for watching OBD II codes, music playback, navigation, and the like.

Yesterday when I was playing music, I also had CoPilot running as well.  When CoPilot was ready to speak a turn instruction, the music fades away for the instruction.  Unfortunately, something is broke with the CoPilot instructions - because they would not speak while something else was playing - so you couldn't hear the turn-by-turn instructions.

I closed CoPilot and fired up Sygic.  Sygic had no problems.  The music faded down, the instruction was heard very clearly, and the music faded back in.  So there has to be something with CoPilot that needs a fix.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman