March 29, 2024, 12:31:21 AM

collapse

Author Topic: GPS \ Navigation apps?  (Read 6652 times)

Offline jrdouce

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
GPS \ Navigation apps?
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:54:01 AM »
I'd like to install a gps app that I can use without a wifi connection. - as in driving and hiking?

Does anyone have a recombination? Experience?

Thanks

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: GPS \ Navigation apps?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:08:13 AM »
See the other threads on the subject. All of the available offline mapping/navi choices suck,IMO.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline allotesting

• View Profile
GPS \ Navigation apps?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:55:35 PM »
tried sygic on the N7 and worked beautifully from Montreal to its south shore. Made about 50 kms

Offline gapcdr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 06:56:59 AM »
It is not free, but I use CoPilot Live on my Zoom and Nexus 7.

Offline Pbelfi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »
I've tried Sygic....works fantastic with the N7. Also give NavFree USA a try...another that works great without a data connection.

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »
I've had good success with Navfree USA but I've used it only for longer trips. When I choose to go off course, the app automatically adjusts on the fly and determines a revised route to complete my trip. The only thing I don't like is the several steps it takes to shut up the navigation voice if I don't want to hear it.

Offline jrdouce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »
Thanks.  I've installed Sygic and NavFree.  I haven't used them yet for any long trip.  Both look good, but Sygic seemed to be sucking up the battery, it was the #2 drain after the display.  Is that normal?

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:24:07 PM »
Thanks.  I've installed Sygic and NavFree.  I haven't used them yet for any long trip.  Both look good, but Sygic seemed to be sucking up the battery, it was the #2 drain after the display.  Is that normal?
I don't know about Sygic but NavFree in combination with the GPS receiver is a battery killer. Makes sense I guess since it's constantly updating the position of the car. I don't know how this compares to traditional GPS devices but my battery would be dead quickly without being plugged into the car's power source.

Offline jrdouce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 06:29:18 AM »
" battery would be dead quickly without being plugged into the car's power source."

I would expect that, Fortunatley, It can be plugged in in the car.

The issue with Sygic was that it was sucking up battery when I wasn't using it.  The app wasn't running (as far as I could tell).   As long as the app was installed, it was high on the battery use list.

NavFree doesn't do that.   I've got to try it out on a long trip this weekend.

Offline FlyFishinX2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »
co-pilot has a free version that works fine for me and it actually recognizes street adsresses which is something the others mentioned in this thread do not.

Offline astroskiffle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 01:28:17 AM »
Currently I use Copilot GPS live pro(or whatever version 9 is now called) with the Google tts voice on my nexus 7. The UI is nice but the latest maps for my local area are rather old (circa 2005) and full postcode searches are not available in my area. However the POI database on Copilot is unmatched.

I also use iGo on my android phone. iGo maps are much better at my location, dating to circa 2011. Full postcode searches are also available in iGo. Sadly Igo is not fully compatible with jelly bean at the time of writing this. It works but without voice guidance. When iGo is fully jelly bean compatible I'll probably install that on my Nexus 7.

I have used Miomap (a variant of the Navman software) on the WinCE platform. It is available for android but only in Taiwan at present. I don't know if there are plans to make a US or EU version. If it was available that would be my first choice followed by iGo, then TomTom (release date is sometime in October), then Copilot.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:00:15 AM by astroskiffle »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts