March 28, 2024, 07:27:13 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 Accessory Spotlight: Kingston Wi-Drive  (Read 14186 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 Accessory Spotlight: Kingston Wi-Drive
« on: August 06, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »

One of the common conversations we have on the forum is which Nexus 7 model to purchase...the 8GB model or the 16GB model.  That great $199 entry price point gets you the 8GB tablet but in reality it only provides slightly less than 6GB for user files since the rest is taken up by the Jelly Bean OS.   For $50 more you can get the 16GB model which gives you more space of course but some have balked at paying 25% more for just 8GB of additional storage.   Regardless of which model you buy the fact of the matter is the Nexus 7 does not have an obvious or easy way to increase the storage since it doesn't come with either a microSD card slot or support mass storage (at least without rooting) via its microUSB OTG (On The Go) connector.    Load a few high-def movies, a few dozen albums and large megapixel pictures on your device and next thing you know you're bumping up against the memory limits of your Nexus 7.  So what to do if you don't feel like rooting and still want to take along more movies, music, pictures and files with you on the go than your Nexus 7 allows?   Well one good option is the Kingston Wi-Drive.

What's the Kingston Wi-Drive you ask?  It is quite simply a portable, battery powered solid state memory device with its own built in Wi-Fi network built-in.  So in a nutshell you can load 16GB/32GB/64GB(depending on model) of movies, files, pictures or whatever else you want onto the Wi-Drive and then access all of it with the Kingston Wi-Drive Android App that you can download at the Google Play store.  You can stream movies, access files, look at pictures...all right onto your Nexus 7 from the Wi-Drive... anywhere you are.    It's really a clever device and even let's you stream to multiple devices at the same time.  You can have 2, 3 or more friends all connect to the Wi-Drive simultaneously and all of you can stream directly from it or access any other files you have loaded.   The video below from YouTube user thatguyjth does a nice job of demonstrating how it works and includes some easy step by step instructions as well to create a 'bridge' connection so you can access the internet and the Wi-Drive at the same time. 

Now pricing of the Kingston Wi-Drive differs depending on which size drive you get.  Despite what the video above says I've found that typically the 16GB model sells for around $59, the 32GB model sells for around $69 and the 64GB model goes for $130 .   You can find out more about the Kingston Wi-Drive at the Kingston Wi-Drive Site.  I've also included a link to the Kingston Wi-Drive on Amazon below which includes free shipping. 

While it doesn't mention it by name in this video it works just as well with the Nexus 7 Tablet

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:31:12 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 Accessory Spotlight: Kingston Wi-Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:58:58 AM »
I'll take two

Offline Tbone60

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:04:30 PM »
My 32g arrived today from Amazon

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:55 PM »
Great...let me know how you like it.  I'm thinking of getting the 32GB as well.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline strider_mt2k

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:10:36 AM »
I want a huge one, but hey who doesn't amirite folks? :D

In all seriousness this looks like a very interesting alternative to on-board storage, but I think I'd like something with more capacity ultimately.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Toshiba Excite 10
Google Nexus 7

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »
So get the 64GB.  That should hold you over for awhile.

JayJ

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:53:42 AM »
I'm definitely getting one, will post when I do...

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 10:05:26 AM »
Before I do purchase one of these I would like to know whether anybody else has bought one, I want to know whether I can use Google Music or any Music Player of my choice. Am I limited to using the Kingston Wi-Drive app to navigate through the content stored on the Wi-Drive. Can I use MX Player to watch movies or again am I limited to it's use??

Hope somebody can help because my pointer is hovering over the Buy button...

TIA

Offline MCP_ElPaso

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 09:57:18 AM »
Best Buy has the Kingston Technology - Wi-Drive 32GB USB Flash Drive for $69.99 w/ Free Shipping

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 10:01:57 AM »

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 05:33:27 PM »
any reviews yet?

Offline jpcalhoun

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 08:06:34 AM »
any reviews yet?
I got the 32 Gig from Amazon the other day.  It took about 2 hours to fully charged.  My PC recognized the device with not problems, downloaded the necessary drives and installed without a problem.  When connected to your PC/Mac it behaves just like an external drive.  Setting the wifi and the Nexus 7 up was a breeze...nothing different from the usual wifi settings etc.  I'm very pleased with the device...it works just as advertised.

JayJ

Re: Re: Nexus 7 Accessory Spotlight: Kingston Wi-Drive
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
@jpcalhoun

Before I do purchase one of these I would like to know whether anybody else has bought one, I want to know whether I can use Google Music or any Music Player of my choice. Am I limited to using the Kingston Wi-Drive app to navigate through the content stored on the Wi-Drive. Can I use MX Player to watch movies or again am I limited to it's use??

TIA

Could help with my questions please?

Offline jpcalhoun

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Nexus 7 Accessory Spotlight: Kingston Wi-Drive
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 07:27:14 AM »
@jpcalhoun

TIA

Could help with my questions please?
Sorry for the delay getting back to you.  I haven't found a way to play videos or music residing on the Wi Drive using anything other than the stock player.  I've tried everything / way that I can think of...but I may be missing something...but I don't think so.  The stock software works OK, but it does not have all the "bells and whistles" of some of the third party apps normally used on tablets/smartphones.  It does work as advertised, it is easy to set up and it works...it just will not win a beauty contest.

Offline denlucier

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »
Get the Seagate satellite go flex 500mb drive. Works perfect . Has its own WiFi built in so you can be anywhere and watch movies listen to music view pics. And works with nexus media importer via OTG cable, android app at play store, has built in media player or can use MX. Can have 9 different devices streaming different movies at once. I love mine and for the price 199.99 well worth it. At home I plug into my TV and watch movies too, works on any usb . Well there is my nickles worth.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman