March 28, 2024, 09:11:42 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 2  (Read 5169 times)

Offline JackD121

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 2
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:48:53 AM »
Hi Guys,

Need your help. I am not able to decide which tablet to buy between these 2 ? Any input ?

TIA

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 2
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
It was an easy choice for me.  The N7 has a faster processor, better screen resolution, and the newest Android OS.  The SGT2 has SD card expandability.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Scott99

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
It was an easy choice for me.  The N7 has a faster processor, better screen resolution, and the newest Android OS.  The SGT2 has SD card expandability.

Exactly, you're gaining a chance to upgrade memory with sd cards, BUT< you're losing everything else listed above. I had a Kindle Fire, which had the same resolution as the Galaxy Tab 2, and believe me, you can see a huge difference between the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire in resolution. Great screen on the Nexus 7, super fast and smooth processor and OS on  the Nexus 7, love mine.

Offline JackD121

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »
Thanks for replying guys. I was confused because costco has a mfr coupon starting 08/16 for $40 off tab 2 10.1 (they sell it for 379.99).

So not able to decide which one to go for (for 90 dollars getting 10" screen plus rear facing camera). But  quad core processor of nexus 7 and ICS looks so much better .. .

wish galaxy had ICS too. Do you know if we can upgrade the OS in tab 2 ( not an android guy).

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:11:31 PM »
There isn't any 3G/4G connectivity.  Personally, I kind of like not being tied to a carrier and all of their bloatware.  On the rare occasions that I have no WIFI access, it's easy to tether.

Almost every review you read lets us know that there isn't an HDMI out port.  That doesn't matter much to me.  I have a HDMI port on my other tablet.  I've used it exactly one time.  When I first got the machine, I plugged it in to see how the output looked on my television.  I think I'll be able to cope without an HDMI port on the Nexus tablet.

There isn't a Secure Digital expansion slot.  I purchased the 16 GB model, so I'm hoping that I won't miss it.  I've never filled up the expansion data cards on either my phone or my other tablet.

I only have two real complaints about the Nexus tablet.  The on/off button is placed in a corner of the case and I am constantly accidentally bumping it and turning the machine off.  I also wish the speakers were a little louder.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 2
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »
Thanks for replying guys. I was confused because costco has a mfr coupon starting 08/16 for $40 off tab 2 10.1 (they sell it for 379.99).

So not able to decide which one to go for (for 90 dollars getting 10" screen plus rear facing camera). But  quad core processor of nexus 7 and ICS looks so much better .. .

wish galaxy had ICS too. Do you know if we can upgrade the OS in tab 2 ( not an android guy).

Well I had a tab 2 10.1" and I returned it. For the money it has bad specs. It has good front facing speakers, a decent screen and expandable memory.

It had android but Samsung tweaks it and adds their touchwiz interface and it usually takes over 6 months to get the newest updates which the N7 gets immediately.

The other thing is that Samsung has a lot of bloat ware I didn't care for and really overall there's better tablets out there for the money.

Examples are the N7 or Asus 300

Offline Portsider

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »
Agree with the above post. I traded my Galaxy tab 2 7.0 in for the 16gig NX7 at gamestop (They gave me $150 credit for it!), and it was an absolute no brainer, notwithstanding the expandable memory, imho, the NX7 is superior in every way. And, as posted above, just the thought of receiving timely updates, makes the choice even easier.
NX7...Official tablet of the Dark Knight

Offline sgarrand

• Proud Nexus 7 owner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »

I still don't completely understand why people need/want a rear facing camera in a 10 inch tablet. It looks and feels downright silly taking a picture with a huge device. Surely your phone has a built in camera, most do.

Scott

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »
I tell you what the absolute coolest thing is to have this tablet and a galaxy nexus. Take a picture with the nexus and bam! Android beam

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman