collapse

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 792 times)

Offline Ashone

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Hello!
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
Hi all ! I am very new to computing and have never used or owned  a tablet or a cell phone of any sort.I am interested in learning all I can tho !
Soo..I am am sure I WILL be asking a LOT of total newbie questions ! Thanks in advance!
I have read some of the forum posts and I see "rooting" mentioned. What IS "rooting" and what does it do?

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »
Hi Ashone!  Welcome to the Nexus 7 Forum! 

As a quick answer to your question, rooting means giving 'super user' access to a device.   So in other words many manufacturers 'lock' their devices software to prevent users from adding things like drivers or other capabilities and by 'rooting' a device it unlocks it so that the user can basically add anything to the device's software such as change it to a new operating system or alter the current one to add more functionality to it.  I hope that helps.

If you have any other questions please start a thread in the appropriate discussion board such as 'help' or 'general discussion' since this is the 'New Member Introduction' thread.   Thanks!

BFM
If you like our community please spread the word and help us grow by providing a link from your site to Nexus7Forum.com

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
JayJ JayJ
2100 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1260 Posts
matt matt