March 28, 2024, 01:14:56 PM

collapse

Author Topic: PERMISSIONS QUESTIONS  (Read 3793 times)

Offline crimar30

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
PERMISSIONS QUESTIONS
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
Is anyone concerned about downloading "free" apps from Google Play? I've downloaded lot's, and have just started reading about the "permissions". This all seems pretty underhanded to me!

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
Re: PERMISSIONS QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »
Everyone should be concerned.  For the most part permissions are benign and used by developers to determine what kind of advertising to send to your machine.  There have been a few apps that were downright evil.  Fortunately, they were found pretty quickly and removed from the play store.  Google can also remove them from your Android device.

If you use Android software, I recommend that you closely check the permissions that programs request before you install them.  This is especially true for new software on the market.  Some of the permissions that could cost you money are:
   a) Make Phone Calls.  This could allow an application to call a 1-900 number and charge you money.
   b) Send SMS or MMS.  This could let an application send a text message on your behalf, and much like the phone call feature above, it could cost you money.
   Other permissions could allow a rogue program to steal your personal data or make changes on your device that you don't want to happen.  Examples are:
   a) Modify/Delete SD Card Contents will allow the application to read, write, and delete anything stored on your device’s SD card.
   b) Read Contact Data is extra scary for me.  Unless an app explicitly states a specific feature that it would use your contact list for, there isn’t much of a reason tor you to allow it.
   c) Full Internet Access could be the most important permission you will want to pay
attention to.  For any malware to truly be effective it needs a means by which to transfer data off of your machine.  This is one of the settings it would definitely have to ask for.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »
Couldn't agree more with what Tiny has written however if your talking free apps the last permission, internet access is going to be on most free applications because of ads,
That doesn't mean don't install free apps that ask for internet permissions, just simply remember if it's new be extra care and avoid apps with low download counts. Let somebody else be the Ginuea Pig!

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »
I'm not much of a gamer, but I don't get any advertising when I play them.  I just turn off WIFI.

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:10:13 PM »
My N7 is rooted and I use an application called AdFree so no ads here either.

Offline crimar30

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 12:42:30 AM »
Not really too concerned about the ad's, it's the other possible damage and harm they could do. I wonder if it's any better buying apps from Amazon, or just the same as the Google Play store? Has anyone bought apps from Amazon?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 07:46:10 AM »
I frequently purchase Apps from the Amazon App Store and take advantage of their free app of the day, which occasionally is a great deal. I find little difference in the Google Play Store and the Amazon App Shop, but if I am about to buy an app, I compare pricing, as occasionally one of them may have the app discounted.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

Re: Re: PERMISSIONS QUESTIONS
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
Not really too concerned about the ad's, it's the other possible damage and harm they could do. I wonder if it's any better buying apps from Amazon, or just the same as the Google Play store? Has anyone bought apps from Amazon?

It's not the ads themselves, it's the fact an app with ads will ask for internet access as a permission.
The internet permission is something rogue or malware apps will ask for so they can send your sensitive/personal data!

On another note, I wish Amazon would get there finger out and bring the Amazon App Store to the UK. Just as I wish Google would get there finger out and bring Google Music, Google Magazines and Google Wallet to our UK devices.

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »
One of my rules on downloading applications is that I don't d/l new ones.  I can wait for a couple of months to make sure that they aren't evil.

Offline Newbieoldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 06:08:53 PM »
I've found that many paid apps also require ridiculous permissions. One paid app for recipes wants every thing including network access.
I've just written to the devs about it and will post if they either do or do not reply. I'm new to android but I believe it will only get worse if we don't complain. I hope I haven't offended anyone on here. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

JayJ

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
Honestly the chances are the network permission are because the recipes aren't contained within the application but pulled from the internet...

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2©
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:25:50 PM by JayJ »

Offline Newbieoldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 05:43:50 AM »
Thanks Jay, When looking at permissions on my N7 it tells me that full internet access is not required to send or receive from the internet. So confusing :-(  I still love my N7 though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »
Permissions have me very worried too. Has anybody tried LBE security master? It seems to provide some control of permissions and also blocks ads.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts