March 28, 2024, 04:38:46 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Can't read .mobi ebook format saved on previous computer  (Read 3384 times)

Offline g_xii

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Can't read .mobi ebook format saved on previous computer
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:36:03 AM »
Hi -- I'm a newbie here.  I'm actually a computer repair person, but never in my career have I worked with the Apple operating system or Android, so I'm having a little bit of trouble considering the lack of info provided with my 3 day old purchase of the Nexus 7.

This forum has been really helpful, but I do have a question that requires a bit of hand holding, as even after reading articles and such, I seem unable to find a solution.

I use Calibre on my personal computers, and have an extensive ebook library in the .mobi (Amazon) format.  I downloaded the Amazon Kindle app for Nexus 7, and there does not appear to be a way to get it to search the fixed storage area of the Nexus 7, so that app is worthless except for new purchases, which I usually do from the computer (so I can remove the DRM and save the files).

I did read an article which informed me that I should download an app called "Cool Reader" which is capible of browsing the fixed storage of the Nexus 7 and loading my books from a library folder.  However, although I made a folder called "EBOOKS" off the root (I think) via USB connection to my personal computer, Cool Reader does not seem to be able to see the folder.

I also downloaded an app called "Dropbox" in which I created an "EBOOKS" folder.  When I look in Dropbox, I see some of the test ebooks I transferred over via Dropbox, but cannot find the folder through Cool Reader.

Am I doing something stupid or wrong here?  I'm not afraid to do some reading, but I'm pretty much at the end of my resouces at this point, and any assistance would be appreciated, as I purchased the Nexus 7 to also eventually replace the Kindle.

Thanks,

--Henry

"To boldly go... with a new operating system!"

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Can't read .mobi ebook format saved on previous computer
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 09:35:34 AM »
If I understand you correctly, you are dealing with a miss-match in the api's in Windows file management (Windows Explorer) and MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). I am unfortunately not as knowledgable of this area as I would like to be, but the mis-match allows you to create folders and move files from your Windows based computer and then have them not show up on your tablet along with numerous other transfer issues. I suspect that this is due permissions in the Android OS, so when I transfer content or create folders on my tablet through MTP from my Windows based computer I place them under the folder \sdcard or \storage\sdcard0 or \mnt\sdcard which are all the same location and have full R/W permissions. Note if you look at the permissions for \storage it is "r" but if you look at the permiossions for \storage\sdcard0 the permissions are "r/w". Also, note that sdcard refers to internal storage in Android and external sdcard would be an sdcard slot. Try creating your "EBOOK" folder on the sdcard and see if your ereader cannot find it. I use epub format and the Aldiko reader and never have issues with the content I transfer to the sdcard folder.

I hope it helps, S.Prime
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline g_xii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »
If I understand you correctly, you are dealing with a miss-match in the api's in Windows file management (Windows Explorer) and MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). I am unfortunately not as knowledgable of this area as I would like to be, but the mis-match allows you to create folders and move files from your Windows based computer and then have them not show up on your tablet along with numerous other transfer issues. I suspect that this is due permissions in the Android OS, so when I transfer content or create folders on my tablet through MTP from my Windows based computer I place them under the folder \sdcard or \storage\sdcard0 or \mnt\sdcard which are all the same location and have full R/W permissions. Note if you look at the permissions for \storage it is "r" but if you look at the permiossions for \storage\sdcard0 the permissions are "r/w". Also, note that sdcard refers to internal storage in Android and external sdcard would be an sdcard slot. Try creating your "EBOOK" folder on the sdcard and see if your ereader cannot find it. I use epub format and the Aldiko reader and never have issues with the content I transfer to the sdcard folder.

I hope it helps, S.Prime

Thank you for your quick response.  I'll try that and see what happens!

--Henry

Offline g_xii

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:09:18 PM »
Worked once I found the folder.

Thanks!  Reading now!

--Henry

* Top Boards