March 28, 2024, 09:51:06 AM

collapse

Author Topic: OTG-USB & Flash Drive on the Nexus 7  (Read 13068 times)

Offline The Nexus Project

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
OTG-USB & Flash Drive on the Nexus 7
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:15:15 AM »
Picked up an OTG-USB cable and a Flash Drive(USB 3.0) for my Nexus 7 because 16GB just isn't enough storage for my needs.And I must say it works perfectly. You just need to grab Stickmount from the Playstore. This is exactly what I needed to expand the limited local storage on my Nexus 7. Now I can put all my media needs(Movies,Music,etc.) on a Flash drive and not compromise my precious internal storage needed for apps,app data,ROM Backups,etc.

Offline tsruggles

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
Re: OTG-USB & Flash Drive on the Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »
If you could maybe write up something as far as how to configure a setup like this, I think a lot of people would be willing to try it. Especially me.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:39:29 PM »
There's nothing to really 'configure' tsruggles except for Rooting your tablet and installing 'stickmount'.   Then you buy an OTG cable and a flash drive, plug it in and presto...you have more storage!   If you haven't rooted yet take a look at our step by step guide.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline tsruggles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:18 PM »
So information will automatically be stored to the drive or do you have to move things there manually?

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »
You should find your answer here.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline tsruggles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:11:01 PM »
Ah, thanks! Well, sort of...lol! Sure would be nice if it integrated a little more seamlessly. BIG seam!

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
You generally have to move things there manually.  I use mine just for music/movies/photos.

I use this one and love the form factor.  It is slow as a dog though, took about an hour to move 16gb of files onboard.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00812F7O8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »
I was trying to find how to do this with the smallest total length.  Using these I have a 32GB micro-usb thumbdrive that sticks out exactly two inches in length and costs ~$22. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180924772396&ssPageName=STRK:MERFB:IID#ht_500wt_1414

Offline 2e0bvj

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 01:59:46 PM »
Hi,
    Theirs no need to root you're nexus 7 tab.On Google play download a app called nexus media importer its about a couple of quid and plug n play virtually no setting up it recognises automatically when a flash drive is inserted & The app is open.I have no connection with the developer but just got it my self and then read this thread.Hope this helps as it certainly won't affect any warranties like rooting would if the tablet goes up the old swany during rooting ect .
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:02:47 PM by 2e0bvj »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 03:00:17 PM »
There is a flaw with the unrooted method. The app that you need to use limits the file types that you are able to view and play. You are also unable to write to the thumb drive as far as I know. With stick mount it is just like being attached to my pc.

Offline John H

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 03:30:42 PM »
I have an aversion to rooting my Nexus 7. 'Rooting' in NZ is a slang word that (amongst other things) means 'wrecking'!

I use both Nexus Media Importer and Nexus Photo Viewer from the Google Playstore without any apparent problems as far as my purposes are concerned - getting files on to my Nexus 7 (I also use Dropbox for this purpose) or viewing them on the Nexus/showing them to others when I travel, and most of all, for the expansion of the memory capacity of the Nexus 7. I haven't found any limitations thus far.

I bought an OTG-USB adapter - cost just over $US2.00 for a pair, and free delivery to NZ from here: http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-on-the-go-...ter-pair-50774

Everything just worked as soon as I plugged in the adapter and pen drive. So simple, so easy to carry when I travel, no more tangling cords. Of course it works better when working in landscape, but I am not finding any particular difficulty with the combo sticking down towards me when working in portrait mode.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 03:55:56 PM »
 I rooted my Nexus because the developer of the two mentioned apps advised me that it was my best option for what I wanted out of my device. I have an extensive karaoke collection. There is no way to play mp3+g files with his app or a way to point the files to an app that can view or play them. Outside of that, his app seems to work great. He is a pioneer so to speak in the unrooted community.

Offline RALIR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »
I was trying to find how to do this with the smallest total length.  Using these I have a 32GB micro-usb thumbdrive that sticks out exactly two inches in length and costs ~$22. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180924772396&ssPageName=STRK:MERFB:IID#ht_500wt_1414

Frank,

I bought something very similar to your adapter for a very similar price, but it does not seem to work. (MY Nexus 7 is unlocked and rooted).  I have an OTG cable that works fine.  I do not know if an OTG adapter is a "crossed" adapter and what I bought was a straight adapter.  Any ideas? Anyone?

Thank you.

RaliR

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »
I have seen a write-up on a similar issue.  What seems to be the issue is one of the pins on the mico side are not connected on the shorty adapters. I have read that one needs to solder a wire to connect pin 4 and 5.  You may find some useful information here http://tech2.in.com/how-to/accessories/how-to-make-your-own-usb-otg-cable-for-an-android-smartphone/319982

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman