March 28, 2024, 12:33:11 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Karma  (Read 3957 times)

Offline tsruggles

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
Could someone please explain how the 'karma' rating in ones profile is determined.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Karma
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »
I just sent you a pm about it.   In a nutshell...if you help people in the forum and write knowledgeable, accurate or interesting posts you tend to get 'applauds'.  If you write annoying or poorly thought out posts you get smites.  It's used as a way of gauging 'popularity' in a way.  The more people you help the more likely they will click an 'applaud' button for you.   The same goes for the flipside.    On every post you can see the 'Applaud' and 'Smite' buttons for the member that posted it.   On particularly helpful...or particularly useless posts some people click them to register their impressions of the member.   Obviously the more Applauds you get the better.   There's not much more to it than that.  It doesn't really have any affect on your membership.  It's just a way of making the forum more interesting and seeing who the more popular...and unpopular members are. So start answering some member's questions and get some 'applauds' on the board!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:30:27 PM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline tsruggles

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Karma
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:31:59 PM »
I just sent you a pm about it.   In a nutshell...if you help people in the forum and write knowledgeable, accurate or interesting posts you tend to get 'applauds'.  If you write annoying or poorly thought out posts you get smites.  It's used as a way of gauging 'popularity' in a way.  The more people you help the more likely they will click an 'applaud' button for you.   The same goes for the flipside.    On every post you can see the 'Applaud' and 'Smite' buttons for the member that posted it.   On particularly helpful...or particularly useless posts some people click them to register their impressions of the member.   Obviously the more Applauds you get the better.   There's not much more to it than that.  It doesn't really have any affect on your membership.  It's just a way of making the forum more interesting and seeing who the more popular...and unpopular members are. So start answering some member's questions and get some 'applauds' on the board!
Please check my pm to you.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:44:44 AM »
...can we listen in??
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »
 Nope.  :D
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 07:36:38 PM »
I guess I had better schedule my cataract surgery.  I thought it was a click to "smile" link.  That "t" sure looked like an "l".
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »
Join the club Tiny.... I went around smiting people thinking I was smiling at them.  Duh!!!!

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
The 'Applaud'/'Smite' words are actually pre-configured on the Simple Machines Forum software so I didn't choose them myself.  I can change them to anything I want though.  I can see where 'Smite' may be confused by some people for 'Smile'.   Probably explains some of the 'Smite's on the board!   So any suggestions?  Should I make it 'Yay'/'Nay'?  'Love'/'Hate'? 'Thanks'/'No Thanks'? 'Win'/'Lose'?   I'm up for any suggestions.  Maybe I should take the top 5 suggestions and make a poll and we can have the forum vote for what we should change it too.     I can remove it completely too if people would rather not have it at all.  I kinda thought it made things interesting and gave forum members a way of thanking or 'respecting' others.   Let me know your thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:30:31 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 06:07:46 AM »
How about Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down?
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 06:24:20 AM »
That works too.  Any other suggestions out there?

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 08:43:27 AM »
Maybe just hve one choice: Like.  But I like the thumbs up/down too.

radio

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »
I don't think the system lets me choose just 'like'.  It's either both +- or I take it out altogether.   I'm kinda liking the thumbs up/thumbs down idea though.  I actually think it's good to have a negative as well as positive so people can learn from their mistakes or see if they're not being a good forum member.   It's a 'subtle' way for people to gauge how their posts are received.    At the same time like I'm previously said...it has no effect on your membership.   It's purely a cosmetic thing that also puts the highest +'s in the popularity/karma board on the front portal page to show who the favorite contributors are.   Notice I don't have a board with WORST contributors.  LOL.  That could get ugly. :)

JayJ

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 12:54:24 PM »
I like the thumbs up & thumbs down idea, think it'll make it a little more understandable for new users.
Do wish people would hit the applaud instead of or at the same time as posting thanks!

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
Do wish people would hit the applaud instead of or at the same time as posting thanks!

I don't get ya J, whaddya mean??

JayJ

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »
After helping somebody they post thanks rather than clicking the applaud button,don't get me wrong here I appreciate being thanked but one little click says it all.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman