April 18, 2024, 11:37:06 AM

collapse

Author Topic: How to take a DVD to N7?  (Read 2981 times)

Offline FlyDog

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
How to take a DVD to N7?
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:50:55 AM »
Could someone give me some pointers on getting a playable file onto the N7 from a legally owned DVD? I'm a total noob on video.  The goal is create playable file(s) for transfer to the N7 so they can be played when it has no network connection.  I have Digiarty's WinX DVD Ripper Platinum v 5.1 (not the current version) on a Win7Pro 64 bit PC.  It can output to AVI, MP4, MPEG, WMV and FLV.  There are options for video quality, frame rate, resolution, etc.  MX player and the ARM v7 CODEC were installed on the N7 From the suggestions on Shinhing's thread on personal video.

Can this be done?  What would be the best choices for format and resolution?
Bob G

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:56:28 AM by FlyDog »

Offline tsruggles

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
Re: How to take a DVD to N7?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:09:21 PM »
I know that Play Movies has an option to integrate video files that belong to you. I was going to research this myself but haven't had the time yet. I'd start there.

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »
Use the software on your PC to decrypt and convert the DVD to any of the formats, MP4 or AVI probably being your best options. Then connect your N7 to your PC via the USB cable and copy and paste the files from PC to N7, copy them to the existing Movie folder and start MX Player which will scan your internal storage for those formats.

Offline FlyDog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »
Success!  Thanks JayJ.   An MP4 conversion of a commercial DVD through WinX DVD Ripper took about 90% of playing time using the "high quality engine".  An hour on the source makes about 600 MB for the file. Copying to the N7 Movies folder and then launching MX Player worked perfectly.  There's still some refining to do. I'm off-line until  Monday but will check back then.
Bob G

Offline FlyDog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »
Well, make that partial success.  Conversion and playback from the DVD worked fine when the chapters/episodes on the DVD all can be played from the first level menu.  Another DVD where the content is played from separate sub-menus could only be ripped at the first chapter in each sub menu.  As far as I can tell this is a limitation of WinX DVD Ripper Platinum v 5.1 and not the Nexus 7 or MX Player.     

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman