March 28, 2024, 04:13:05 PM

collapse

Author Topic: CAPTCHA Issues  (Read 2692 times)

Offline jimjoh

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
CAPTCHA Issues
« on: August 18, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »
Believe when I say I don't want to sound like sour grapes but I have joined many forums in the past but I have to say this was the hardest one ever for me. I had to type my new password over & over many times as the blurred letters were impossible to read. But luckily I finally guessed right and passed. I have had my Nexus 7 for over a week now & I have never been so pleased with a new computer & I have so much to learn as I have been a pc for many years. I guess that would be a lot more new members join this forum if the blurred letters were a little more readable. jimjoh

JayJ

Re: CAPTCHA Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »
You must being talking about the Captcha phrase, here's a quote from Wiki...

A CAPTCHA ( /ˈkæp.tʃə/) is a type of challenge-response test used in computing as an attempt to ensure that the response is generated by a person. The process usually involves a computer asking a user to complete a simple test which the computer is able to grade. These tests are designed to be easy for a computer to generate, but difficult for a computer to solve, so that if a correct solution is received, it can be presumed to have been entered by a human. A common type of CAPTCHA requires the user to type letters or digits from a distorted image that appears on the screen, and such tests are commonly used to prevent unwanted internet bots from accessing websites.
An inherent problem in letter-based CAPTCHA challenges is that they must necessarily be case-sensitive to be effective. Yet, because the upper- and lower-case versions of these letters—CcOoPpSsUuVvWwXxZz—are essentially identical except for size, correctly entering a code containing one or more of these letters is guesswork. When one or more of these letters is present in a CAPTCHA, a legitimate user must often make several frustrating attempts to guess the case correctly, or wait to randomly for display of a CAPTCHA that does not contain any of those letters.

Might help clear things up a little.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »
Were you registering from your Nexus 7 or from a PC? Registering from a computer will introduce many variables, like Windows version or choice of browser. Sour Grapes or not, we are glad that you are now a part of the community.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline jimjoh

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:36:17 PM »
Thanks JayJ but understanding  Captcha phrase does not help if it is almost impossible to read the letters. I only posted my problem in hoping the web master would look at it & make it a little more easier for new people. And please don't look at me as a newbe because I have registered in many forums. I know that one of the times trying to registered in this forum it asked my what the color is & that stopped me dead in my tracks because I am colorblind so why should that keep me out. What really irked me was every time & believe when I say many I had to retype my password twice. I am benifiting now & I am sure in the future from being a member. jimjoh :)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »
I'm gonna split this thread into a new topic since this is the 'when are we gonna hit 1000 members' thread.  I'll look into the CAPTCHA issues.   Problem is we sorta need it to keep autobots out that post spam all over the forum.  I delete half a dozen a day as it is and before I had the CAPTCHA turned on I've (and no exaggeration) had single posts where a bot posted 80 spam messages in a row while I was sleeping.   What I maybe can do is lighten up the CAPTCHA difficulty so it makes it a bit easier to read but I'll have to add an additional 'question' to the registration process to make sure it's a human and not a bot to make up for it.   Unfortunately it's the Spammers that force us to do this.  If it were up to me I'd have no CAPTCHA at all.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:11:06 PM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 08:51:54 PM »
I also frequent a lot of sites that require CAPTCHA.  I've found that opening the magnifier and hovering over the code make it a lot easier to decipher.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

JayJ

Re: Re: CAPTCHA Issues
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 03:20:13 AM »
Thanks JayJ but understanding  Captcha phrase does not help if it is almost impossible to read the letters. I only posted my problem in hoping the web master would look at it & make it a little more easier for new people. And please don't look at me as a newbe because I have registered in many forums. I know that one of the times trying to registered in this forum it asked my what the color is & that stopped me dead in my tracks because I am colorblind so why should that keep me out. What really irked me was every time & believe when I say many I had to retype my password twice. I am benifiting now & I am sure in the future from being a member. jimjoh :)

No I didn't think that it was going to help or change how it made you feel but I just thought it might help a little knowing what it's all about.
Over the last few years I've been using Android I've come across CAPTCHA more and more, from joining forums to downloading custom ROM's from file sharing sites.
As a mod on two other forums I totally support and understand the benefits of CAPTCHA, deleting posts from a Spambot invasion is not fun and can be quite frustrating at times.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman