March 29, 2024, 03:13:16 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Guide to Auto-Rotation for the Nexus 7 Home Screen and App Tray  (Read 12419 times)

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Guide to Auto-Rotation for the Nexus 7 Home Screen and App Tray. Edit: Auto-Rotation is built into the Nexus 7 in version 4.1.2 and later.

One of the biggest user annoyances for me is the failure of the Nexus 7 to auto-rotate from portrait to landscape mode when viewing the tablet’s Home Page.
As I am not one to allow the vendor to dictate how I use my device, I have found two methods which will allow auto-rotation.

Method 1:

Uses the Ultimate Rotation Control App available at Google Play and offers a 7 day trail with a permanent license for $3 and does not require Root. Available Here.

Method 2:

Is the free version, but it does require Root to edit the system\build.prop file. The following is a step by step guide for an easy edit. Read the entire instructions before starting.

Before you start the usual disclaimer applies, that I am not responsible if you screw it up. Use Astro or ES File Explorer to save a copy of your system\build.prop file to a user accessible location like documents and send a copy to dropbox or copy it to your PC. If you follow the instructions exactly as written you are unlikely to have any problem, as this is the safest method that I have found.

Step 1

Download the free ROM Toolbox fron Google Play Here and install

Step 2

Open ROM Toolbox and tap Performance at the top

Screenshot:

Step 3

Tap build.prop editor

Screenshot:

Step 4

Tap the pencil in the upper right hand corner and scroll to the bottom and add the exact following line as the last line. Be careful to type it exactly as shown or your tablet may fail to start (See screenshot below).

launcher.force_enable_rotation=true

Click on the save icon in the upper right corner, exit the build.prop editor and ROM Toolbox and reboot your Nexus 7 and enjoy auto-rotation.

Screenshot:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:41:49 AM by S.Prime »

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline tsruggles

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Guide to Auto-Rotation for the Nexus 7 Home Screen and App Tray
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »
Ah! Another great option! I'll have to play around with this. Thanks for sharing! One problem I had with the URC app was a brief pause every few seconds during game play (riptide specifically) or while watching video (Netflix and YouTube). I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Since then I purchased Nova Prime (no relation to the OP :-) ). I can configure it to be identical to the stock launcher but with some neat added features like gesture control.

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 01:47:44 PM »
There is a totally free option for non-rooted users and that is to install a launcher like apex or nova.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:12:22 PM »
Thanks, SP! ;D

I paid for the rotate app, but I removed it in favor of the elegant one line build.prop edit.  I'm going to remove the ROM Toolbox, too, as I think I can edit the file in Windows Notebook.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:15:01 PM by birdastrompgman »
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 06:25:30 PM »
Hey bird, if you remove the URC app will that change any of the app specific settings that may have been set up using URC?  And I guess the build.prop edit will be a 'global' setting which all apps will be constrained to, huh?  Some apps I have would work well in one orientation but not in the other...

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Guide to Auto-Rotation for the Nexus 7 Home Screen and App Tray
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 07:30:46 PM »
Thanks, SP! ;D

I paid for the rotate app, but I removed it in favor of the elegant one line build.prop edit.  I'm going to remove the ROM Toolbox, too, as I think I can edit the file in Windows Notebook.

I paid for the Rotate App, as well, but as it has been pointed out, it does create issues with other apps, so I prefer editing the build.prop file. Also, as bird pointed out there are other methods to modify the file, if you are a more advanced user, but I selected the safest and easiest modification option that I could find to use as the forum guide.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »
Hey bird, if you remove the URC app will that change any of the app specific settings that may have been set up using URC?  And I guess the build.prop edit will be a 'global' setting which all apps will be constrained to, huh?  Some apps I have would work well in one orientation but not in the other...

radio

Radio, IDK.  I never set any app specific settings, so you'll have to let us know.  I suspect it depends on whether URC creates its own database, or modifies the apps' data files.

SP, ROM Toolbox crashed nearly every time I used it, and it wanted to charge for downloading its list of ad-blocking websites and each of half a dozen other databases.   It's gone.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

JayJ

Re: Re: Guide to Auto-Rotation for the Nexus 7 Home Screen and App Tray
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 02:49:33 AM »

radio

I've not used URC but clear the data in Apps before uninstalling, will also clear any caches too.
Editing the build.prop will only change the behaviour of the the stock launcher (homescreen application).

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »
WOW! You have me writing code now! Amazing. Worked like a charm. I coudn't stand that auto rotation app. Just the icon is annoying looking. I knew that there had to be a way to work around the home screen without having to buy that app. The one thing I did like about the app was that it allowed me to lock apps that use the camera. Tango and Vignette are always showing video or pictures at the wrong angle.
Thanks Prime!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 10:36:36 PM »
When I downloaded rom toolbox fro. I Primes link it is showing up as the pro version? It took me to the lite for d/l but now that it is installed it says pro? Do I still need to upgrade? The play store for pro still shows 4.99

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 03:06:24 AM »
My installed app says RomToolbox lite, I will check the link in the OP.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 07:45:10 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  Works flawlessly.  I'm not a huge fan of Rom Toolbox.  I have had major issues with compatability of feature in that app.  As a crackflasher, I'm better off not even having that app on my device.  I use ES Note Editor to edit my build.prop file.  Thanks for the string to add! I tried URC, but I cannot stand idle notificaions in the menu bar. 

JayJ

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 08:44:06 PM »
I use Root Explorer for any build.prop editing.

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 06:55:55 AM »
The ROTATION CONTROL app works on Samsung Galaxy S2, S3 and Note 2 as well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:00:53 AM by CBers »

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 08:46:11 AM »
I also use Root Explorer.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts