March 28, 2024, 04:23:37 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 not compatible with a credit card reader?  (Read 5746 times)

Offline devyes

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 not compatible with a credit card reader?
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:17:22 PM »
I've been frequenting Fred Meyer, playing with the Nexus 7 day after day, and it seems like such an incredible device for a great price. I want it bad.

I've intentionally kept my self from buying it too soon to make sure that I investigate every last detail and make sure it can function in all the ways I need. There are two things that my decision is hinging upon. 1) I need to read music on it for a wedding band I play in. I emailed myself some attachments and i could see them -- not super clear, but I'm young with good eyes so I'm not worried. Check.

However, I did some research on the Square app for processing credit cards (I lead a band and we sell high volumes of merchandise), and it sounds like it's not compatible with the Square Card Reader. So then I did some more digging and with what limited information there is, it seems that the Nexus 7 is not compatible with any readers because of the headphone port. This is killing me. This is a very important feature and I don't want to be forced into buying the iPad, which for me is a bit too large and pricey.

Does anyone have any more detailed information about this? Will it work eventually? What is the limitation? Lack of a microphone port in the jack? I'm so saddened by this news.

Best,
Devon

Offline 72driver

• View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 not compatible with a credit card reader?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:40:20 PM »
Unfortunately you are correct. I bought the Google Nexus primarily as a format for using the Square credit card reader and app to take credit cards at our sales.  I thought the form factor of the Nexus would be perfect. Then I discovered that not only is the square android app "officially" incompatible with Jellybean, but, worse, the card reader will not work with the Nexus jack since it is not a mic in jack. Solution? Bought a Samsung galaxy tab2 for the same $$. It runs android ICS and has a jack that works fine with square. Will now probably sell the Nexus and take a small (hopefully) loss. Really frustrating.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:42:56 PM by 72driver »

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:52:01 PM »
Did you try contacting the developer first?  Many developers are updating their apps and accessories for the Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean devices.   More and more are coming out with new versions each week.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline SharonM49

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »
I too am frustrated about this since the only reason I am buying a tablet is for mobile credit card processing.  The Square would not be my choice since there are better services out there but I cannot find any information that the Nexus 7 will take the reader for Roampay or Gopay either although both do have apps.  The Samsung Galaxy will accept both readers.  Am very disappointed since the Nexus 7 is my first choice over the Samsung.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »
It's a shame that you wouldn't go with the Nexus 7 because of the lack of developer support on such a new device. There is one card reader and app that claim to be compatible with the Nexus 7. Payment Max is advertising support for this device. For more information refer here http://www.paymentmax.com/2012/08/nexus-7-credit-card-processing/

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »
I can see in a business situation needing a tool now. It seems a shame because its only a matter of time that development catches up with The Nexus and its advantages over other tablets in its class.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman