March 28, 2024, 08:15:12 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Better Documentation !!!  (Read 4317 times)

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Better Documentation !!!
« on: August 27, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »
Documentation for N7 is an embarrassment (including the N7 "Guidebook").
N7 seems like an excellent product, but no idea how to use its many features/options without endless experimentation. 
A real frustration.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Better Documentation !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »
Documentation for N7 is an embarrassment (including the N7 "Guidebook").
N7 seems like an excellent product, but no idea how to use its many features/options without endless experimentation. 
A real frustration.

Yup, I have to agree with ya there gp123... Thumbs up.   I did happen to see a guide selling somewhere, maybe GP, for a few bucks.  But it really should hve been documented much better by the manufacture! 
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 03:15:58 PM »
The vast majority of smart phones don't come with a user manual thee days, the Nexus 7 guide on Play Books is a huge improvement albeit not as concise as some users would want.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »
it is better documented  than most products in this segment. what questions do you?

Offline tsruggles

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »
You could fill a library with instructions on using such a device. People would complain a lot more if their mobile device came with the entire Encyclopedia Britannica collection. Shipping would cost a fortune. But seriously. That's why there are forums. It's a never ending learning process. And it's quite fun for those who like to learn something new every day.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »
Yes, I was going to say that Nexus7Forum.com is the best documentation there is!  It's interactive, answers your questions, provides the latest news and informs you of all the latest and greatest apps, games and accessories.   A 'pre-printed' document is basically dated as soon as it prints.   A forum is a living, growing thing that becomes as useful as the effort you put in.  Perhaps we should have a tag line:  'The Nexus 7 Forum:  We Begin Where the 'User's Guide' Ends'
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 06:45:31 PM »
To my mind, at the bare minimum every control and option on N7 should have a documented explanation.  If things become too complex -- that's what Appendices are for.   Google has chosen not to do this, so instead I rely on the good folks in this Forum for most explanations.  My only other choice would be endless experimentation and tinkering.  There should at least be a Google Support telephone support number.  Have not seen this.

Good documentation takes time and effort.  Nearly as complex as developing the product itself.  I think Google(Asus)  has produced a great product in N7 but has done a bad job in documenting it.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 06:56:47 PM »
Google actually does provide support online as well as by phone.   It's on their support site.  Here's a couple of links.

If you're a new Nexus 7 owner and unfamiliar with Android this will walk you through a lot of the basics:
http://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en&topic=2565937

If you have further questions try their help line:
http://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 07:47:35 PM »
  Perhaps we should have a tag line:  'The Nexus 7 Forum:  We Begin Where the 'User's Guide' Ends'

Hey, I LIKE that! 

Yeah I wouldn't want a written manual but more detail in the on-line version would have been good, IMO.  But I see your point...

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

JayJ

Re: Re: Better Documentation !!!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »
Perhaps we should have a tag line:  'The Nexus 7 Forum:  We Begin Where the 'User's Guide' Ends'

That sounds great, an awesome tag line!!

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Better Documentation !!!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »
To my mind, at the bare minimum every control and option on N7 should have a documented explanation.  If things become too complex -- that's what Appendices are for.   Google has chosen not to do this, so instead I rely on the good folks in this Forum for most explanations.  My only other choice would be endless experimentation and tinkering.  There should at least be a Google Support telephone support number.  Have not seen this.

Good documentation takes time and effort.  Nearly as complex as developing the product itself.  I think Google(Asus)  has produced a great product in N7 but has done a bad job in documenting it.

The manual it comes with explains a lot of stuff... what kind of features do you not know how to use?

Offline garryknight

• Popularity: 0
  • Waiting for my 16GB Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Garry Knight

Offline tsruggles

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 05:39:02 PM »
They also made a series of videos      http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWQuxgA1uhzM&v=WQuxgA1uhzM&gl=US

: EDIT: Sorry for the mobile site link. I'm on my mobile device.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman