March 28, 2024, 05:36:49 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Send and Receive Calls and Text on Nexus via WiFi  (Read 6365 times)

Offline jpcalhoun

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
Send and Receive Calls and Text on Nexus via WiFi
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:05:49 AM »
I can't take credit for this write up, but it is a great way to make/receive calls and text over WiFi FREE.  And, it no kidding works, just follow the instructions below:

{GUIDE} Placing and receiving calls over Wi-Fi using Talkatone and Google Voice
I wanted to contribute to this forum and thought I would start by putting a very simple guide together for placing and receiving calls with the Nexus 7 using Talkatone and Google Voice over Wi-Fi.

As a declaimer: Follow this guide at your own risk. I only mention this because the developer of the Talkatone app does not support the Nexus 7 device. I will add that I have installed this on my wife's Nexus 7 and have had no issue as of this guide.

I would like to acknowledge drsky125 who mentioned Talkatone in another thread and this is how I found out about the app.

The main reason for putting this guide together was I have seen other guides on the web that seemed very complicated. Talkatone has done a great job walking the user through the steps to set this up.

1. Create a Google Voice Account if you do not already have one. This is a very simple process. Just follow this link https://www.google.com/voice Once you have established your Google Voice Number, you will need to add a couple settings to your account.

A. Select your access number from the left side menu by clicking on the number. This will bring you into the settings page.
C. Select "Phone" tab and check off "Google Chat"
B. Select the "Voice Mail & Text" Tab and check off "Text Forwarding" This will allow you to receive text messages.
C. Select "Save Settings" button to commit these changes.

2. Follow this link to download the Talkatone app from the developers webside Talkatone for Android (side loading version) Scroll down to the bottom of the page and check off "I read and acknowledge the above mentioned limitations" and then select "Download APK" Button. As of this guide, if you try and download the app from Google Play, You will not be able to so because the developer has not included the Nexus 7 as a supported device. For more information check their F.A.Q page.

3. Install the Talkatone app. Once the app is installed, open the app and when you are prompted log into your Google Account. You will receive an email from Talkatone outlining the steps above.

That's it, your all done. Enjoy.

If I have missed something, please let me know and I will update the guide.

Best regards

ironfist

Offline ctrlz

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Send and Receive Calls and Text on Nexus via WiFi
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »
Jpcalhoun, thanks for the post!   I've been searching and wondering if there was a way to sms on this thing and your method works.   

The only thing I don't like about it is it uses my Google voice number rather than my normal cell number so people I text have no clue its me until I explain it, which is fine really, I'm just searching for perfection is all lol.

Great way to SMS on the nexus though.  Thanks very much!
CtrlZ

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »
You can also use tablet talk

Offline ctrlz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
You can also use tablet talk

Nice!!  I prefer that much better.  Its worth what they charge and exactly what I was looking for.   Thanks for the tip fxsarge
CtrlZ

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 10:55:59 PM »
No problem I've been using it for a long time the developers of it are really nice

Offline jpcalhoun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:26:30 AM »
Jpcalhoun, thanks for the post!   I've been searching and wondering if there was a way to sms on this thing and your method works.   

The only thing I don't like about it is it uses my Google voice number rather than my normal cell number so people I text have no clue its me until I explain it, which is fine really, I'm just searching for perfection is all lol.

Yeah I hear what you're saying about having to use the google number for text.  The main reason I use the app is the ability to make phone calls using the Nexus 7.  However, I haven't figured out how to get the thing to receive phone calls.  All calls place against the google number ring on my Razr Maxx.

Offline ctrlz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:32:24 PM »

Yeah I hear what you're saying about having to use the google number for text.  The main reason I use the app is the ability to make phone calls using the Nexus 7.  However, I haven't figured out how to get the thing to receive phone calls.  All calls place against the google number ring on my Razr Maxx.

Tablet talk does the exact same thing.  I Bluetooth my RAZR Maxx to my Nexus 7 and start up tablet talk to connect them.  When my phone rings, caller id window pops up on my Nexus and gives me the answer option.   I have yet to answer with it but...    I think I would have to have Bluetooth headphones but not sure.  I'm in it for the texting however I can even  dial out using the Nexus.  If I can figure out how to post screen shots on here I'll do that in an hour or so after I get my son home.   Its pretty cool and well worth the price....and no middle man extra phone number!
CtrlZ

Offline ctrlz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »
I grabbed some good screen shots but I have to Photoshop the innocent out.  Once I get my son, I'll have him call my phone and I'll get screen shots of the incoming call on the nexus and maybe I'll even answer!
CtrlZ

Offline jpcalhoun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »

Tablet talk does the exact same thing.  I Bluetooth my RAZR Maxx to my Nexus 7 and start up tablet talk to connect them.  When my phone rings, caller id window pops up on my Nexus and gives me the answer option.   I have yet to answer with it but...    I think I would have to have Bluetooth headphones but not sure.  I'm in it for the texting however I can even  dial out using the Nexus.  If I can figure out how to post screen shots on here I'll do that in an hour or so after I get my son home.   Its pretty cool and well worth the price....and no middle man extra phone number!
Hey thanks.  I also have Tablet Talk on my Nexus 7 and Razr Maxx.  When connected Bluetooth I haven't noticed TabletTalk giveing me any kind of notice if someone calls the Razr.  The texting functions works great no doubt about that.  I'm going to have to do some exploring...thanks for the info.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:55:24 AM »
Yeah you can make and receive calls with tablet talk. Bluetooth headset is a must in my opinion

Offline jpcalhoun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 09:26:19 AM »
Yeah you can make and receive calls with tablet talk. Bluetooth headset is a must in my opinion
Yeah, I've been playing with Tablet Talk...the phone functions work great but you do need a Bluetooth headset to hear and speak using your tablet.

Offline ctrlz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »
I have some screen shots but they're huge and I don't have time to resize them right now.   

Yeah I guess I may have to break down and get a blue tooth headphone set with mic.

Jpcalhoun which do you like better now that you've tried them both?
CtrlZ

Offline jpcalhoun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 08:08:33 PM »
I have some screen shots but they're huge and I don't have time to resize them right now.   

Yeah I guess I may have to break down and get a blue tooth headphone set with mic.

Jpcalhoun which do you like better now that you've tried them both?
Well it's hard to say.  The inability to answer calls on the Nexus with Talkatone and the lag in the conversation is a drawback.  The need to sync a Bluetooth headset when using Tablet Talk is a drawback, but you can place and answer calls...that's a big plus.  I guess I prefer Talkatone because there is one less device (headset) to sync.  Another thought...you don't need a Google number with Tablet Talk...that makes texting and calling less confusing for others.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 05:59:51 AM »
How is a Bluetooth headset a drawback?

Offline jpcalhoun

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 07:08:57 AM »
How is a Bluetooth headset a drawback?
In my opinion it is a drawback for a couple of reasons: 1) it is another device that you have to sync 2) I don't like setting around with something stuck in my ear (particularly at home).  I'd rather be headphone or ear piece free and 3) the separation you can achieve between the Nexus 7 and the phone is much less than the separation you can achieve  between the Nexus and your wifi (in my case anyway).

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman