March 28, 2024, 11:27:44 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Screwed Up!  (Read 4642 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Screwed Up!
« on: September 16, 2012, 10:41:01 PM »
Damn! Well it was a learning experience. I starting getting an error message saying I was out of space when downloading an app. I had over 6 gigs free?WTH? I made a mistake and somehow I didn't have or couldn't find the backup file. I ended up going back to stock and going back thru the process again. I am in the middle of reinstalling apps. I have to figure this backup thing out cause this sucks.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Screwed Up!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 11:38:06 PM »
Alright finally back to where I was except a little more well versed in going back to stock and rerooting.

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 11:52:24 PM »
I'm confused, what happened?

You were downloading an app? What's that have to do with backups??

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 11:56:41 PM »
I got an error message when trying to download titanium pro. It kept telling me no space left to install or something to that effect. I tried downloading other apps and I couldn't install them. I don't know what was going on. I rebooted and nothing helped. I then wanted to go back to where I was when I wasn't having errors and I didn't have any backed up zips
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:58:47 PM by bjs229 »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 03:11:41 AM »
Enjoy the the confidence that you have gained, in your ability to restore the Nexus 7. With the tools we have it is virtually impossible to brick this tablet.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

Re: Re: Screwed Up!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »
I got an error message when trying to download titanium pro. It kept telling me no space left to install or something to that effect. I tried downloading other apps and I couldn't install them. I don't know what was going on. I rebooted and nothing helped. I then wanted to go back to where I was when I wasn't having errors and I didn't have any backed up zips

Was this on a stock ROM and rooted?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 12:32:47 PM »
Yes

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »
Strange indeed but now you've got a completely clean ROM now is the best time to perform a nandroid backup...

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »
I did a backup with titanium. Is Nandroid done with the toolbox?

JayJ

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »
No, a nandroid is a ROM backup and performed with TWRP recovery, use Goo Manager and select "reboot recovery" and confirm.
Now in Team Win Recovery select "Backup" and swipe the slider at the bottom, once complete there will be a nandroid backup in your internal memory (sdcard0). Now if you have any problems rather than having to flash the factory image with the Root Toolkit and so long as you can fully boot your N7 (not stuck in a bootloop) and get into recovery you can restore the backup.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:26:25 PM by JayJ »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 05:40:34 PM »
Thanks again. I just followed those steps. Do you compress or not? Also is it necessary to include or check the recovery and cache boxes before you save? Those two weren't checked in the default Page that opened in twrp.

JayJ

Re: Re: Screwed Up!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 06:00:38 PM »
You can compress, I haven't tried restoring a compressed backup before but can't see any problems doing so.
It isn't necessary to check the recovery and cache boxes, if your installing a kernel with a recovery then I would recommend checking the recovery box but the N7 will build a new cache so that's up to you. Both will make your nandroid bigger but if you compress the nandroid it shouldn't take up too much space.

I would also advised to to rename the nandroid so you know what they are, I usually put the date and if it's a stock backup add stock to the nandroid name, if it's a custom ROM backup then the date and name of the ROM like this...

20120917.Paranoid2.12

or

20120917.stock
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:02:19 PM by JayJ »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »
Looks like that worked. I have a file that is 1.2 gigs in the TWRP folder. So with this backup is there any reason to have Titanium backing up too? Seems like a lot of space being used with both.

JayJ

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
In short, yes there is good reason to have both. I have both because TWRP is a ROM backup facility whereas Titanium is an app backup facility.
For example, I've run Titanium and backed up my user apps and their data. I boot to TWRP recovery and backup my existing ROM, I flash a new custom ROM with TWRP and use Titanium to restore all the apps I had on my previous ROM. Titanium not only backs up the app but it's data as well so if you restore an app with Titanium and choose to restore both the app and data your restoring the application plus it's settings and cache etc, that includes game saves if your restoring a game (unless the game saves to sdcard).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:08:19 PM by JayJ »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:21:16 PM »
Ah I see. It is getting clearer now. Thanks a million.
 I still haven't tried a different rom but might give it a shot tonight.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman