March 29, 2024, 07:24:56 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Google charges $50 for $7.50 worth of storage in the Nexus 7  (Read 2608 times)

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Google charges $50 for $7.50 worth of storage in the Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:26:12 AM »
http://www.zdnet.com/google-charges-50-for-7-50-worth-of-storage-in-the-nexus-7-7000000790/

Another reason we miss the sd slot.

I just saw the iSuppli post with the breakdown costs of the N7 and Kindle Fire, and yeah $50 for a $7.50 memory upgrade is pretty bunk.  I wish they would've at least gone up to 32 Gig or 64 Gig which they would've still made a profit with.

And yeah, an SD Slot would've definitely made me order the 8 Gig instead saving me $50, but I guess that's where they're making their money.

Offline LanceJ

• View Profile
Google charges $50 for $7.50 worth of storage in the Nexus 7
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »
Google is charging for actual consumer value, not part by part... I bought the 16 gig because to me, as a consumer I still valued the extra storage enough to pay the extra $50... I don't feel like I was scammed lol

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »
All companies do it in all industries.  Look at Apple charging hundreds more between models for just 16GB more of ram or car companies that have a DX, LX and EX model that are thousands apart in price but only a few hundred...if that...in actual improvements to the vehicle.   This is how they make their money.   As long as it's competitive with competitors...and I would argue that in the case of the Nexus 7 it's actually VERY competitive...then I'm ok with it.   It's called capitalism. :)
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »
Google is charging for actual consumer value, not part by part... I bought the 16 gig because to me, as a consumer I still valued the extra storage enough to pay the extra $50... I don't feel like I was scammed lol

I don't feel scammed because you're right 16 Gigs will greatly increase the usability of the N7 for me, just pondering out loud ;)  But now I see the business logic in why they did increase the price so much on the 16 Gig units since they're really not profiting much from the 8 Gig units.  And I also see why they didn't add the SD Slot as to force users who need the extra space to invest in the 16 Gig units. 

Makes good business sense, but from a consumer standpoint it's still bunk.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:44:50 AM by samalex »

Offline Scott99

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:38:50 AM »
All companies do it in all industries.  Look at Apple charging hundreds more between models for just 16GB more of ram or car companies that have a DX, LX and EX model that are thousands apart in price but only a few hundred...if that...in actual improvements to the vehicle.   This is how they make their money.   As long as it's competitive with competitors...and I would argue that in the case of the Nexus 7 it's actually VERY competitive...then I'm ok with it.   It's called capitalism. :)

Exactly, Google is in business to MAKE money, not break even. For what we are getting, $200 or even $250 is more than fair. An actual car, parts and all probably cost less than $10 thousand to make, yet slap the Toyota or Nissan name on it, and you'd be hard pressed to find one under $20 thousand.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »
Personally i was quite impressed with Google's business model for the Nexus 7. Certainly they leveraged the Android OS and the Google Play Store, but the impressive thing they did was to break away from the iPad pricing structure, which has over priced previous Android tablets. When one compares the hardware and the $200 - $250 price tag for the Nexus 7 to other Android tablets you can bet that the consumer will benefit in the long run.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
Personally i was quite impressed with Google's business model for the Nexus 7. Certainly they leveraged the Android OS and the Google Play Store, but the impressive thing they did was to break away from the iPad pricing structure, which has over priced previous Android tablets. When one compares the hardware and the $200 - $250 price tag for the Nexus 7 to other Android tablets you can bet that the consumer will benefit in the long run.
IPAD charges $100 to go from 16 to 32 gig (or $50 per 8gig), to go from 32 to 64gig  it is $100( or $25 per 8gig).  So when the evil empire does it - it is evil, but when the white queen does it, it is a blessing on us all. 
And some of us need 32gig for our use or 64gig.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman