March 28, 2024, 10:20:18 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Android 4.2 Rolls Out To Nexus 7: Multiuser Support, Photosphere and More!  (Read 12157 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile

If you've been paying attention to the forums this morning then you're probably aware that Android 4.2, the latest version of Google's mobile OS became available early this morning shortly before all the new Google devices went up for sale.   While this latest version is being rolled out to your Nexus 7s via an Over The Air Update you can also download and install it manually if you're willing to do just a few steps.

Android 4.2 brings a number of really cool new features and improvements to your Nexus 7 in addition to a lot of little fixes and speed improvements that are nearly invisible.  Some of the major new features includes multiuser support, which brings you the ability to have multiple users have access to the same device while keeping their own independent settings, documents, apps and information.  Also new to 4.2 is Miracast support...which enables you to stream video to Wi-Fi enabled televisions(Apparently there's a question as to if Miracast will work on the Nexus 7...might take a further update).   There's also a new 'Swype-like' keyboard that lots of users will love,  'Photosphere', a 360 degree photo algorithm for making incredible location-scape photos, changes and additions to notifications and settings menus and more.   

Now most of you will probably just want to wait for the OTA update that will arrive automatically to your tablets but just in case you're impatient like me and want it now, Android Police has a great step by step here.   Make sure to let us know what you think of the new features in our forum or below in our comments section.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:45:36 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

g-girl

Re: Android 4.2 Rolls Out To Nexus 7: Multiuser Support, Miracast and More!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »

Also new to 4.2 is Miracast support...which enables you to stream video to Wi-Fi enabled televisions.. 

Get. Out.

I need to know all about that! Thanks for posting this.  :D

JayJ

Re: Android 4.2 Rolls Out To Nexus 7: Multiuser Support, Photosphere and More!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 06:47:26 PM »
Where are the settings for Miracast? How do we connect the Nexus 7 to a Smart TV or Miracast dongle??

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
We might have spoken too soon regarding Miracast.  While Android 4.2 does technically support Miracast streaming apparently it might be working only on the Nexus 4 phone and Nexus 10 at the moment.   We haven't confirmed this though and if so the hardware for Miracast appears to be in place on the Nexus 7 so it might be just a matter of another update.  We'll announce any new info on this as soon as we find out.  Anyone that has more info please let us know.  Thanks!
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:04:38 PM »
I've been searching on the net and it appears to be speculation as to whether the N7 supports Miracast, Nvidia Tegra 3 chipset does and Miracast is build around Wi-Wi direct which the N7 has so in theory it should work...

Something else I read made me think a setting nor application is actually needed for Miracast, if your tablet is connected to a Miracast receiver then it just works?? My only concern is that couldn't anybody with a Miracast receiver view my tablet??

Offline M1keC

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »
The 4.2 update arrived this morning and installed without any problem.  However,soon after I started getting messages to say that the clock had stopped working - but it hadn't.  Closing down and then restarting seemed to solve the problem.
I know the camera in the N7 is pretty naff but can we use the 360 photosphere?  If so, where is it in 4.2?

Just for information, the apps I use most are Pocket, CloudPrint, BBC News and iPlayer.  Isn't it time itv managed to produce and itvPlayer that worked?

M1keC

Offline Gunner6101

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »
What idiot designed the lock screen it looks dumb and also they got rid of the crt off animation

Offline Archie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »
Mine is updating as I write. I'm glad I bought a tablet from Google as they have consistently done what they said they would do in a timely manner.
I've tried three other tablets and was disappointed in them compared to my Nexus 7.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
I've been searching on the net and it appears to be speculation as to whether the N7 supports Miracast, Nvidia Tegra 3 chipset does and Miracast is build around Wi-Wi direct which the N7 has so in theory it should work...

Something else I read made me think a setting nor application is actually needed for Miracast, if your tablet is connected to a Miracast receiver then it just works?? My only concern is that couldn't anybody with a Miracast receiver view my tablet??
I stumbled upon a screen in the YouTube app that asks you to input a code to view on a smart tv or what I think is Miracast enabled devices. It is inside the menu for YouTube tv.
I'm thinking now this is just an older Google smart tv thing?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:53:40 PM by bjs229 »

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 04:25:33 PM »
My N7 upgraded to Android 4.2 without my doing anything.  There is a new + sign on the startup screen which I don't know what it does.  I think the clipped clock which previously appeared in landscape mode has been repaired.

Surprisingly, the "settings" button and the internet status disappeared from the pulldown notification screen.

I was hoping that the new gmail app would let us use the whole screen in landscape mode to see a message, but that's not the case.  Or -- if somebody knows how to do that -- please reply to this post.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:39:06 PM by chaikenj »

JayJ

What idiot designed the lock screen it looks dumb and also they got rid of the crt off animation

I don't like the widget thing of the new lockscreen, I don't mind widgets on the lockscreen or the ability to add them but what I don't like is the implementation of it all. They could have done it differently, like from settings. I really don't like the square with a plus there when I turn on my N7 and and what's the point on widgets on the lockscreen when there's only three?

I miss the CRT animation too...

I stumbled upon a screen in the YouTube app that asks you to input a code to view on a smart tv or what I think is Miracast enabled devices. It is inside the menu for YouTube tv.
I'm thinking now this is just an older Google smart tv thing?

Yeah I saw those settings too, does that mean You Tube is the only supported application or add I said above will anything stream??

My N7 upgraded to Android 4.2 without my doing anything.  There is a new + sign on the startup screen which I don't know what it does.  I think the clipped clock which previously appeared in landscape mode has been repaired.

Surprisingly, the "settings" button and the internet status disappeared from the pulldown notification screen.

The + is an area you can add widgets and as for notifications, you can now pull down the left side for notifications and the right side for quick settings...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:45:15 PM by JayJ »

Offline quehoo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
Hmm.. I tried to use the photosphere and the one next to it and received the error message "your device is not supported:  nexus 7 Asus". Wonder why?  The 4.2 update installed smoothly.  Everything else seems to work great (non rooted).  Thanks for any info on this.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 05:31:25 PM »
I don't know what the deal is with this Miracast but I am headed to best buy to see if I can find the device.

JayJ

Hmm.. I tried to use the photosphere and the one next to it and received the error message "your device is not supported:  nexus 7 Asus". Wonder why?  The 4.2 update installed smoothly.  Everything else seems to work great (non rooted).  Thanks for any info on this.

Where is this??

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Whose on first. What's on second.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt