March 29, 2024, 07:24:21 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Official 4.2 issues thread  (Read 16493 times)

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Official 4.2 issues thread
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:12:11 AM »
Didn't see one of these but if so I apologize. If you have see any issues report them here.

I noticed I can no longer stream Bluetooth audio to my Bose speaker with wifi on at the same time. Pretty big deal for me.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Official 4.2 issues thread
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 02:09:42 AM »
I have been having similar probs
Sarge. WiFi and bluetooth breakup the music or video.

Tsarli

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 02:41:29 AM »
WiFi disconnects more frequently now. :'(

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Official 4.2 issues thread
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:37:09 AM »
WiFi disconnects more frequently now. :'(

I've been having this too.

Tsarli

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:40:05 AM »
Would rooting and installing a Custom ROM eliminate the WiFi disconnection issue?

So far this is my only unrooted Android device, but if rooting will fix this irritating WiFi problem then I'll have to.

Offline Smelter

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »
 :( The back light has started to flicker since the update. Battery is fully charged so I wonder if background tasks are more busy and pulling the power.
Also I noticed that when I save an image in Chrome, pictures are downloading with a grey bar across the image, and several times the downloads are "unsucessful", going to the image gallery I can do a re-download, but having to check each one is a bit of a pain. It was never a problem with JB4.1.2

Solved the backlight problem! (Well some helpful guy on this forum did).
4.2 defaults the "brightness" setting to "auto", so a quick toggle off and a manual adjustment and it's sorted. ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:17:55 AM by Smelter »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »
I can stream but it is choppy when I turn the bluetooth speaker on. This is not a new problem for me. I had it with my last device and troubleshooted every which way but loose. I can't figure out except that WiFi and bluetooth together don't work well on my Nexus.
I also have quite a bit of lag while typing sometimes. I am thinking about doing a reset and then handpicking my apps one by one to see if I can pinpoint the issue. I have over 10 gigs of open space so that shouldn't be any issue.

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Official 4.2 issues thread
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »
The bottom line of this is "Does 4.2 do more harm than good?".  I haven't heard all that much regarding benefits of this upgrade.
While I'll probably not be affected by the problems cited (so far) I'm wondering if I should wait a while before updating to 4.2 ?
My current OS 4.1.2 is running just fine!

Your opinion?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:22:38 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline blue_bullet

• Popularity: 3
  • Gettin' by on gettin' by
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 12:57:42 PM »
The bottom line of this is "Does 4.2 do more harm than good?".  I haven't heard all that much regarding benefits of this upgrade.
While I'll probably not be affected by the problems cited (so far) I'm wondering if I should wait a while before updating to 4.2 ?

Your opinion?
I will wait a bit.  I got the OTA 4.2 update yesterday.  It did not install b/c I am rooted (happily) on 4.1.2.  I dinked with Wug Fresh 1.5.5 tool kit and decided to wait for his soon to come 1.6 version.  Those developers do a good job of sorting things out for us rookies.  On the down side you learn less when you stay away from the bleeding edge.  For me with 4.2 the benefits of the new features do not outweigh potential negatives of stickmount not working, wifi/bluetooth irregularities and other possible issues. I like to stay current, but this time I will sit in the pocket for awhile.  I appreciate the work others are doing here fixing things and identifying problems as well as new features.   
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:22:58 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Official 4.2 issues thread
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 03:07:59 PM »

Your opinion?
I will wait a bit.  I got the OTA 4.2 update yesterday.  It did not install b/c I am rooted (happily) on 4.1.2.  I dinked with Wug Fresh 1.5.5 tool kit and decided to wait for his soon to come 1.6 version.  Those developers do a good job of sorting things out for us rookies.  On the down side you learn less when you stay away from the bleeding edge.  For me with 4.2 the benefits of the new features do not outweigh potential negatives of stickmount not working, wifi/bluetooth irregularities and other possible issues. I like to stay current, but this time I will sit in the pocket for awhile.  I appreciate the work others are doing here fixing things and identifying problems as well as new features.
I think that is a good decision. I can't blame the new update for the recent woes I am experiencing but it sure does seem like a lot of coincidence. I can honestly say I was running smoother before. I am considering wiping this thing...

JayJ

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »
I have a 32GB Nexus 7, I've had no lag issues, no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth issues since the update.
When Google announced the 4.2 they dubbed it a maintenance update despite the new features 4.2 includes. The new features include, Multi user, Quick settings, gesture keyboard (swipe), Daydream, Lockscreen widgets etc. The whole OS with 4.2 is in my opinion is faster, smoother and generally an even better user experience than it was with 4.1.x.
I would encourage anybody to update their Nexus device to 4.2, I use most of the new features everyday and don't regret updating my Nexus 7.
If you really don't think you'll use the new features, it's your device, don't update it but you having a cutting edge device which if you don't update it won't be as cutting edge as it could be...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:45:55 PM by JayJ »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
I think I just have a bad combination of apps somehow. I have had these issues with both units and multiple upgrades.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »
I just dumped Google Voice and reinstalled. Did anyone notice that in the Google folder voice icon turned into an Green Android icon and in apps it is a blue phone? Anyway, I'm running smooth right now. Bluetooth and home WiFi perfect and tablet is like butter. I don't know.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

JayJ

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
There definitely appears to be an issue streaming music over Bluetooth, let's hope Google fix it soon.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman