March 28, 2024, 06:12:24 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 In-Dash Installation  (Read 9488 times)

Offline inm

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 In-Dash Installation
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:21:05 PM »
Hey guys, I don't really come around here much anymore, but I thought since this project is an Android project too, I'd post it here.

FIRST: I don't want to hear about how this is a stupid idea or anything like that.

Anyway, here's what's going on:
I will be installing a Nexus 7 in my dash, completely automated, integrated, and removable. When it is slid into the dash, it will automatically turn on Wifi, Bluetooth, and Music, thanks to NFC tags. The N7 will stream audio to a Bluetooth receiver, which then feeds into an EQ. From the EQ, it goes to my sub and 4 channel amps. The N7 will be kept charged by a hard-wired POGO pin charger.

I'm debating whether or not to make a pod for my GNex (also removable) that will use NFC to automatically turn on Wifi Tether.

Update 12/5
My prototype POGO pin charger works! Although currently looking like a death trap, I will clean it up and hard wire it into the car when it completely ready. (Testing was done with my GNex. I know the pins are in different positions, this was just very early stages of development, for testing purposes.)

Update 12/7
The Nexus 7 will be bought on 12/9. NFC tags and RCA level controllers were ordered and should be here in a week or two.

Update 12/9
Picked up the Nexus, and began cutting my dash to fit it. More cuts will be made, and then fiberglass will come.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 In-Dash Installation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »
Dude! I thought about this myself and said..that's a stupid idea. Lol
What I mean is Wow! That is cool. I was driving today thru Philly with Nav and was thinking I need just that.
Very cool. Keep us posted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »
You have never idea how bad I want a dash mount in my jeep wrangler for my N7.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »
I was thinking something on the steering wheel. So you can just look with peripheral vision. I guess not to good having it smash you in the face at 3 gs when the airbag comes out. Clips of some type. Nothing as elaborate as this. I would pay for this in a heartbeat. You could build these into homes, cars, a water proof one for watercrafts and  boats. Etc. I want in on the the aqua patent rights now. Lol

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:34:31 PM by bjs229 »

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Nexus 7 In-Dash Installation
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
I was thinking something on the steering wheel. So you can just look with peripheral vision. I guess not to good having it smash you in the face at 3 gs when the airbag comes out. Clips of some type. Nothing as elaborate as this. I would pay for this in a heartbeat. You could build these into homes, cars, a water proof one for watercrafts and  boats. Etc. I want in on the the aqua patent rights now. Lol

Lmao at tablet launched by airbag.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:41:49 AM »
A couple months back i was reading about someone doing this. I thought it was this forum. Maybe not. The project was fairly far along, but I never saw completion. Looks great so far!

Sent From my Razr Maxx  (iKReaM.SToCK.NeW.ErA.v1.0.4) via Tapatalk 2

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 04:58:38 AM »
There was a topic posted here a few months back:

http://www.Nexus7Forum.com/index.php?topic=1124.0

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 06:36:16 AM »
You might want to refuse the 4.2 updates so that blue tooth will work. The 2 middle pogo pins with ground are audio out. I think there are custom roms that will allow charging while using usb, if you can find a usb soundcard. I wonder if the netzero portable 4g hotspot would work?

I've been tracking pogo stuff on xda, I want to make a small dock that will attach to a wall instead of on a table. If used as an alarm clock, I'm pretty sure it will go flying if not nailed down.

I've seen sources for the pins, someone should make a 4 pin subassembly with wires preattached. Because I'm lazy.

Good luck!

Offline inm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 09:08:31 AM »
From what I understand, the BT issues were fixed with 4.2.1. I sure hope they were, because I already updated...

A for the hotspot, anything that creates as infrastructure network will work. My phone does it, so I will be using that.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »
Bluetooth was not fixed with with 4.2.1. There was a Bluetooth driver added for gamepad support. The Bluetooth audio has not been addressed. The install that I read about before was over on droidrzr.com. He used hardwired connections, not the pogo pins.

Offline inm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »
Very interesting. I'm in a few IRC channels and there are a lot of us Android geeks. A fee of them have N7s running 4.2.1 and claim to have no issues streaming audio via Bluetooth.

I guess I'll see how it goes when I get to the part of the project. For now I'll focus on the fiberglass dash.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 11:26:55 AM »
Barry can give more insight into this, but the issue arises when streaming Bluetooth while using Wi-Fi simultaneously.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »

It is crazy because some people have no issues. There are however hundreds of folks i see posting in Android developement threads that have the same exact issues.I have had the issue with the BT audio since I bought my first Nexus in late July. It arises when you have WiFi running along with audio output to a BT device. The sound stutters, Youtube video, will stutter and their is also a definite delay in sound to the speaker. I know you don't need WiFi to play native files but for troubleshooting purposes if WiFi is on, BS, MX, PowerAmp etc all stutter. As soon as WiFi is disabled. Perfecto. The opposite  is also true. If you are playing video/ audio thru wifi and BT and it is choppy  then turn off BT, it runs fine immediately thru the Nexus speakers.
Note. I have had this issue thru all of the updates since July and on two different machines. 5 different speaker companies and 7 different speakers.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »
Loocid .Did you open your Jam yet? I discovered the issue using that very speaker. I spent days with my new sling box and speaker pissed thinking it was my sling box causing the video stutter. It was the damn BT/WIFI combo.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »
No I haven't opened it yet. Was in no hurry until the issue gets sorted.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts