March 28, 2024, 12:31:52 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Music players File explorers  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Doc_Z

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Music players File explorers
« on: December 15, 2012, 02:56:19 PM »
New to forum and Nexus 7.  I have uploaded my music to Google Play Music and pinned it to my tablet so I can play it offline.  The music player that comes with the N7 leaves a lot to be desired, but the one advantage of Google Play Music is its ability to automatically upload new music I add to my PC.  Are there any other music players that will play off Google Play Music or do I have to upload my music to the tablet's storage.

Secondly, what is a good file manager for the N7.

Thanks

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Music players File explorers
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 06:20:37 PM »
I'm not into music, but I use ES File Explorer for the latter task you mentioned. I also like Root Explorer, but you have to be rooted to use it. ES File Explorer works on both rooted and unrooted systems.

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.6 mpg over 38k miles in  Scion xB)

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »
I'm not aware of any other Music payers that can access Play Music so yes if you want to use another players like Power Amp or N7 Player then you would need your music to be stored locally.

There are many good file explorers, as bird mentioned there's ES Explorer and Root Explorer which can be used as a file explorer without root access but obviously limited to internal user memory. There are also other good file explorers like Astro File Explorer and Solid Explorer amongst others.

Hope that helps.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 02:13:12 AM »
If you are pinning your music you might as well just store it locally and look into Power amp or Winamp etc.. I only use Google music when I absolutely have too. Space is precious. Use it wisely.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Doc_Z

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »
I understand about space, but I assume pinning music so it can be listened to offline takes up some space somewhere.  Is there a way to unpin it? I would have to upload my music to store locally.  When I linked my N7 to my computer, all I saw was local storage.  Does that include the SD card and if I uploaded my music where would it go?  Thanks.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »
When the Google music app is open and you are looking at your collection, tap an album cover you should then see a bigger icon and on the bottom right is a pin. You can download music to the Nexus by using that pin or by using the drop down menu that is at the bottom right  corner of the album cover.
Google gives you a bunch of free space to store music. I believe you have to use a PC and the program on the Google Music site to upload your music to the server.
I am not sure where Music gets stored if you pin it to the Nexus.
If I load mp3, flac etc ..on my Nexus, I drag it into the music folder using my PC the old fashioned way. USB..

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:24:15 AM by bjs229 »

Offline Doc_Z

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »
AS I said above, I did pin the music and I assume that takes up space.  Is there a way to unpin/remove it from the tablet so I won't be doubling up on space?

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
Yes Music pinned from Play Music does take up space on your Nexus 7's internal memory, to remove the pinned music simply tap the pin icon again.
When connecting the N7 to your PC you'll see a device "Nexus 7", this is the internal storage of the Nexus 7 and where you can store media such as music, videos and photos. The Nexus 7 does not have an SD Card, just internal storage. The file paths is...

/storage/emulated/0/...

I'm not sure where pinned music is stored locally but if you are putting music on the N7 yourself it doesn't matter where you place it because the Play Music application or any 3rd party application will search relevant file extension, there will be a Music folder already in the internal storage so that's where I place my Music when adding any with Windows File Manager.

Hope that helps...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2©

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »
Unpin it. That's the ticket. Hit the pin again .

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:08:01 PM by bjs229 »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt