March 28, 2024, 01:13:47 PM

collapse

Author Topic: TV Portal  (Read 10842 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
TV Portal
« on: January 12, 2013, 03:36:07 PM »

Does anyone else encounter horrible skipping and stuttering with this app?  Sometimes it runs flawlessly but then it just is unwatchable. I use MX like suggested and my Wi-Fi is strong. I go down the line of the other sites serving the show and it seems hit or miss. Just as a test I open YouTube when the skipping is happening and it runs fine. Any ideas?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: TV Portal
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »
Test

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:38:49 PM »
Yeah, i encounter the same problem. It comes from the buffer on the incoming stream. If the streaming server can't keep up, it will pause to buffer. Max buffer cache is only like five minutes.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 05:02:14 PM »
If a lot of people are watching the same vid, the host server may not be keeping up. For incoming buffer use bs player, you can change the size. Try watching late nites or less popular shows?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 02:02:32 AM »
Thanks guys.  Appreciate the insight.  I thought it was my hookup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 06:55:30 AM »
If you run speedtest, you'll notice it picks the closest server to you. If you could change it to a server in China, say, you would see quite a difference. No telling where the portal feeds are hosted, or the bandwidth they have. When downloading pc files, I try to pick a usa mirror.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:54:24 PM »
I watch only two shows at the moment.  Homeland and
The First 48.

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 12:26:48 AM »
almost all TVportal "contributors" are in Europe - particularly eastern Europe where copyright lawyers and their lackeys have no recourse.

You can do a IP lookup on the various dotcoms, etc and see where they are in particular, eg Switzerland, Romania, Moldavia, etc.

Generally if I get too much buffering from one site, I simply move on to the next one in the list after noting where I am in the play time and simply move the playback to that spot at the new connection.  I rarely have the same issue from all of the possible sources.  Typically, some sites always sux and others are generally more reliable.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:20:55 AM »
I do that same trick too Trout. Trying all the links.. I have to say I just got my Verizon Fios hooked up at the new place and it is running a lot better. Thanks for the insight on the servers.  I was wondering how they work this whole thing. Still can't install the paid version.  Seems like it is banned on the playstore for a while now. I follow them on FB.  Cool dudes. They took the cap off of my app knowing that I can't upgrade. Still have ads but hey WTH.

Offline MrFound

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:49:15 AM »
tnks on the insight on the servers,  I've never had bad scattering(knock on wood),  i only watch one show(shameless)  for now.  i love it(the american,  not the uk version. even if im grateful to uk cause they invented it)

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 07:43:27 AM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:45:00 AM by matt »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »
If you had TV portal prior to new years, then its possible that you have the old version that cannot be upgraded. If your icon is the grey TV, you have there old version. There is no cap with this version, but you cannot remove ads. I couldn't remove them with my ad blocker either. The new version downloadable from Google play has a blue filmstrip as the launcher icon. The UI is updated for tablets and hi-res devices. This version is currently upgradable to remove ads and cap. The current price is $.99 however, I received a notification that the price will soon be increasing to $1.99. Might be a gimmick, but upgrade yours ASAP. Definitely worth the buck.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »
A buck is about 63-5p here in the UK but TV Portal want £1.29 to upgrade, what's with that? Okay so £1.29 isn't allot but why are you guys paying $1 USD and here in the UK we pay $2 USD.

I'm not tight, it's principle...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »
Thanks guys. My version gray /gold was giving me a message saying you watched two episodes blah  blah.. Until I emailed them. I will check out the new one.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »
Weird. I just used the link to the store and there was no charge for the blue version.  It just had an install button.
Ah  now I see. Upgrade 1.99
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:31:33 PM by bjs229 »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts