April 23, 2024, 08:39:42 AM

collapse

Author Topic: New owner, couple nitpicks about the Jellybean  (Read 9669 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: New owner, couple nitpicks about the Jellybean
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 08:03:21 PM »
From my experience, if a torrent app is running it will be in notifications. Shut the App down and it should disappear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline levolent

• Popularity: -2
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:41:42 AM by levolent »

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 08:42:06 AM »
Ok not solved apparently. After installing Swiftkey 3 trial and using my blutooth keyboard I still get a bunch of different keyboard notifications. I don't know why but these are very annoying to me so if someone could help me get rid of them I would be grateful! If I need to change my keyboard input I can go to settings or heck this kb app I think even puts a button for that on the keyboard, so these notification spams are TOTALLY unecessary. If I don't want to use the blutooth kb I can just turn off blutooth or hit the off switch on the kb itself. I want the notification area 100% clean except for important, action required now type stuff!

Offline ivan

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 09:31:04 AM »
You can also go to the app drawer, find the app, long press on the app, and drag it to app info.  From there it'll take you to a screen where you can disable notifications for the app.  That app will not have a notification icon anymore. (might be useful for skype or utorrent)

That is if I understand your problem correctly.

Screenshots might help.

You will always have a keyboard notification up when you use the keyboard. I think you can do the same thing as above, though I haven't tried it. Go to Settings - Apps - All - Android Keyboard and click on it - Turn off Notifications... maybe that will work. Looks like if you go to Input Devices, it's disabled and you can't turn that off... sorry. Maybe if you root you can change that?

Or if you want it to be super clean, you can download Nova Launcher and get rid of the notification bar entirely  :P

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »
You can also go to the app drawer, find the app, long press on the app, and drag it to app info.  From there it'll take you to a screen where you can disable notifications for the app.  That app will not have a notification icon anymore. (might be useful for skype or utorrent)

That is if I understand your problem correctly.

Screenshots might help.

You will always have a keyboard notification up when you use the keyboard. I think you can do the same thing as above, though I haven't tried it. Go to Settings - Apps - All - Android Keyboard and click on it - Turn off Notifications... maybe that will work. Looks like if you go to Input Devices, it's disabled and you can't turn that off... sorry. Maybe if you root you can change that?

Or if you want it to be super clean, you can download Nova Launcher and get rid of the notification bar entirely  :P
If I use Nova Launcher, will it still popup notifications when I receive an email or instant message via Steam / Skype?

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »
All it does is hide your status bar, all the notifications will still be there including the ones you don't want when you swipe down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:39 AM »
I read thru your thread at AC.. I am quite anal when it comes to file management and such but I am really having a hard time understanding what you are worked up about. When you open your keyboard to type the  input notification icon appears. When you have an app that is open and or running syncing the background like email, music, radio or download/torrent in most cases will show in notifications. Some apps need to be shutdown like radio and using the notification bar is a shortcut.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »
Yeah I'm just not sure what the problem is. I like knowing when certain apps are constantly running because those are the ones draining your battery

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »
All it does is hide your status bar, all tOn  notifications will still be there including the ones you don't want when you swipe down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I actually want the opposite. More space in the drop down menu. Between Steam chat messages and new emails and the 2 keyboard spams I actually ran out of space already in landscape mode once and I'm just getting started with the device.

Not getting worked up just want to customize my device. This is why I didn't buy anything from Crapple...  customization

Tell me what useful purpose they serve taking up space in the drop down if you think I'm being unreasonable here. The only use I've been found was for Hacker's Keyboard. You can use the notification to force the keyboard up if it disappears on you. Unfortunately SwiftKey 3's split layout in landscape is just too good to pass up and it breaks the ability to force the keyboard up with the HK notification so I just uninstalled HK.

On a side note is there a way to increase autorotate responsiveness? Sometimes takes as long as 3 seconds to reorient and video and sound often skip in the process.

Also Web caching doesn't seem to Work at all. Just switching tabs or hitting the back button forces a full refresh! This is quite an issue if you're out of range of wifi and hit the back button.

Offline wpb1960

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »
Sounds as if you are totally unhappy with your device.

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »
Sounds as if you are totally unhappy with your device.

Sounds as though you didnt have anything useful to contribute to the OP so you made a fluff post.

There's nothing inherently wrong other than the speakers only being on 1 side, no vibration motor and no 3g but I can deal with those things. In fact I may be modding the speaker by relocating 1 and adding a 2nd grate. I heard there's a 3g model also so I might transplant that module in while I have it open if that is possible.

I'd also like to customize the simple stuff like what shows in the notification drop down if that is okay with you.

Bonus question: Any way to "accelerate the scrolling/swiping? I turned the only option I saw for this all the way up but it is still quite slow. Bad enough that I may be looking into PageUp/PageDown & Home/End keys for my keyboard if there isn't a way to turn it up beyond "100%"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:40:22 PM by levolent »

JayJ

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »
I don't think there's any need to be like that, it does sound like your unhappy with your device. All devices have their limitations, as you've said yourself you'd have hit an iPads long ago but Android and the Nexus 7 is a great device so enjoy it or don't.

As for the kb notification, it does serve a purpose, its there for quick change of the kb. So if your using the stock kb (or any other) and you want an Emoji you can pull notifications down switch to iWnn IME and have Emoji icons... just because you can't dismiss the notification doesn't mean it's broken or wrong to be there.

As for apps like Skype (although you've solved this) they are there for information, as the guys above have said, its there to inform you the user of the app running.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »
I don't think there's any need to be like that, it does sound like your unhappy with your device. All devices have their limitations, as you've said yourself you'd have hit an iPads long ago but Android and the Nexus 7 is a great device so enjoy it or don't.

As for the kb notification, it does serve a purpose, its there for quick change of the kb. So if your using the stock kb (or any other) and you want an Emoji you can pull notifications down switch to iWnn IME and have Emoji icons... just because you can't dismiss the notification doesn't mean it's broken or wrong to be there.

As for apps like Skype (although you've solved this) they are there for information, as the guys above have said, its there to inform you the user of the app running.

The reason it's good to customize is what you think is useful may not be useful to me. I actually switch to HK sometimes now just for the ctrl+c & ctrl+v capability (oddly enough the ctrl+z doesn't seem to work) but my goal is to use only 1 great keyboard.

Offline ivan

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 02:02:04 PM »
Bonus question: Any way to "accelerate the scrolling/swiping? I turned the only option I saw for this all the way up but it is still quite slow. Bad enough that I may be looking into PageUp/PageDown & Home/End keys for my keyboard if there isn't a way to turn it up beyond "100%"

This is for sure something you can do in the Nova Launcher.  Under Nova Settings - Look and Feel - Scroll Speed and Animation Speed

JayJ

Re: Re: New owner, couple nitpicks about the Jellybean
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »
The reason it's good to customize is what you think is useful may not be useful to me. I actually switch to HK sometimes now just for the ctrl+c & ctrl+v capability (oddly enough the ctrl+z doesn't seem to work) but my goal is to use only 1 great keyboard.

Sure I totally understand that but there are limitations even to Android...

This is for sure something you can do in the Nova Launcher.  Under Nova Settings - Look and Feel - Scroll Speed and Animation Speed

Limited only to the launcher itself...

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt