April 27, 2024, 08:02:59 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Caching not working  (Read 5731 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Caching not working
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 08:17:41 PM »
Nothing personal but you seem very difficult to please. I understand we all want what we want. Do you not believe in paying for an app when the developers have done a good job? Why is a trial a turnoff?  That's what a trial is.. if it's good buy it. If you don't like the app that's a different ballgame.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:20:48 PM by bjs229 »

Offline levolent

• Popularity: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »
Nothing personal but you seem very difficult to please. I understand we all want what we want. Do you not believe in paying for an app when the developers have done a good job? Why is a trial a turnoff?  That's what a trial is.. if it's good buy it. If you don't like the app that's a different ballgame.

Nothing personal, but your fluff post doesnt contribute to the OP in any way.

I've since uninstalled Puffin since its flash trial was inferior to Sleipnir's non-trial flash. I am not above using trials, I love this Swiftkey 3 trial so far and will likely buy it when it is over. (although still looking a way to add swype functions)

I am still having the same problem from the OP so if anyone knows how to make cache work for web browsing I'd love to hear it. I shouldnt be forced to reload a page when hitting the back button. Static pages shouldnt try to refresh when switching focus back to that browser or back to that tab.

A slightly related issue that would speed up overall efficiency of my browsing if fixed is tabs not continuing to load when not in focus or after switching to another active browser. For devices that arent so snappy at fetching web data it is nice to be able to request a page then switch to another tab or browser and work on something else while it continues in the background.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »
Waving the white flag.

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »
Waving the white flag.

Haha I didnt even notice you are a mod, oops!

Waiving the /bowdown flag.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 09:40:22 PM »
It's ok bro. I didn't mean anything as far as being personal. We all try and help each other here. It's a cool forum here.  I have read thru your threads here and at other spots and you seem to be very specific with your needs. No harm no foul. The way I look at it, being here is bout what we want to learn and helping each other. I hope that we can figure out some of these needs and issues because so far they have been tough to remedy.
I'm gonna check out Sleipnir. :D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:44:06 PM by bjs229 »

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »
I hear ya. It may be because tablets have different ram and apps have to work on 256mb as well as 1g. Not much ram to multitask after operating system overhead + market services.

When using chrome, I long press a link to open a page in a new tab. When I go between tabs they don't reload. And the tabs I haven't opened yet load in the background.

When I go back in Internet Explorer on the winbox, it redownloads the pages as well. Maybe there needs to be a cache buffer setting.

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 09:51:23 PM »
I hear ya. It may be because tablets have different ram and apps have to work on 256mb as well as 1g. Not much ram to multitask after operating system overhead + market services.

When using chrome, I long press a link to open a page in a new tab. When I go between tabs they don't reload. And the tabs I haven't opened yet load in the background.

When I go back in Internet Explorer on the winbox, it redownloads the pages as well. Maybe there needs to be a cache buffer setting.
Maybe there's app that will let you whitelist some apps to be considered fully active and focused even when they are in background? This would also be useful for listening to youtube videos without having to actually watch the video in full focus. Then I could uninstall PXSTAR which is kinda crap code, but works somewhat. (you can't even paste a URL there you have to search the video again)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:52:57 PM by levolent »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 09:59:01 PM »
if I remember there was a bug with puffin that allowed you to back out or use another tab and YouTube would play in the  background.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:05:13 PM by bjs229 »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »
The lightning browser does it too. I am browsing and YouTube is playing in the backround. Not sure if that is what  you want

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
if iI remember there was a bug with puffin that allowed you to back out or use another tab and YouTube would play in the  background.

Thats not a bug thats a feature! ;P Puffin flash quality isnt as good as Sleipnir. Also the gesture system is pretty amazing. Did I mention the Japanese have been using it for years? Havent checked out lightning yet.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »
There is a video player called wondershare with a built in browser to use youtube or hulu. Even flash vids will play, at least on hulu.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »
I didn't know it was a feature but it works!  Lightning seems cool but settings don't work after the new update. It is very fast. Fast enough to maybe remedy your cache issue.

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »
Back button forcing a reload and totaly wiping the current page if you happen to be out of wifi range is a major bug imo and no faster browser is going to fix this, but thanks. I will def check it out if I get tired of Sleipnir.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 10:31:41 PM »
Are you looking for a way to save .flv videos to the tablet? I don't think any stream will continue to work when wifi drops.

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »
I don't think any stream will continue to work when wifi drops.

Of course not lol... I think maybe you were mixing up 2 different issues I brought up. The only time I mentioned dropped wifi is when you hit the back button. Doesnt mean I was referring to watching a video stream. Hitting the back button should show the cached copy of the page just like it does on my pc, not forcing a refresh and then clearing the entire page of content to display a network error.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman