March 19, 2024, 01:03:08 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Gmail will not sync  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Aquaplane

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Gmail will not sync
« on: October 03, 2013, 05:42:31 AM »
I recently purchased an Original Nexus 7. I registered with Gmail via my laptop. When I open the Gmail App on the Nexus, I get a blank screen with the message 'waiting to sync - your email will appear shortly'. The tablet does not sync, the message just remains there.

The mail address in the top left corner of the screen is my hotmail address not my gmail one.
The email App & hotmail App both sync with my laptop - it's just the Gmail that doesn't.

I have checked the settings - sync is turned on & I have reset it.

Does anyone know how to get the sync working - would be very grateful for any advice.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:45:56 AM by Aquaplane »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Gmail will not sync
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »
Sounds like you know what you are doing a far as troubleshooting. I am assuming that when you say settings you meant Nexus settings/ accounts/ Google/Account Name/Synch/check the gmail box
If that does not do the trick have you tried deleting the gmail app and reinstalling?
Also pulling down the open gmail app window should start a sync immediately. Does that work in the meantime?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Offline Aquaplane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
Hi bjs 229

Thanks for your reply. I'm a novice at Android - this is the first device I've had, so please bear with me!

Have opened Nexus settings app/accounts & the only account listed is my hotmail account which says it was last synced 6 months before I bought the Tablet!

Just realised that what I did was go into settings on Google Chrome, them click on my hotmail a/c & reset the sync on that, which obviously wouldn't reset the Gmail sync.

When I go into Google Chrome (new to this as well) on the Tablet I have a tab labelled Gmail, which shows the welcome message sent to my laptop when I first logged on to Gmail.
When I go on to the Nexus settings app, under accounts the only one that is shown is my hotmail account, no mention of a Gmail account

Not sure how to delete the gmail app & reinstall. Have tried pulling down the open gmail window & refreshing page but nothing happens.

When I go to the Google dashboard, the primary email account shown is my gmail account.

Is this any help - grateful for you help.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »
Aquaplane, go to Settings, Accounts, Google and you will see the Accounts setup in Google listed in the right screen, tapping the name of any account in the right screen, will open the items that you are syncing under that account, but if you tap the 3 vertical dots at the top you have the option to remove the account. I am not sure where your hot mail account will be shown from your information, but once you find it listed here you will have the option to delete it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:41:42 PM »
Sounds like you never configured a gmail account. In settings/accounts, is there a plus sign -add accounts? There is an email app and a gmail app in the app drawer, the hotmail account should be accessed with email.app. If all else fails, a factory reset will get you back to the initial setup screen.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »
There is a Gmail app. Its a red and white envelope with an M. Matt might be on to something. Have you opened a Google account?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:51:45 PM by bjs229 »

Offline Aquaplane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 07:29:37 AM »
Hi S. Prime

On the setting app have been to Settings, Accounts & all that is shown is my hotmail account. Below is shown account settings and when I click on that under general it shows my hotmail account & my gmail account. When I open the Gmail app it only seems to recognise my hotmail account.

I set up a google account several years ago & then the the gmail account a couple of days ago. Both were set up on my laptop.

In answer to bjs229 - It's when I open the Gmail app that I get the message 'waiting for sync'.

Matt -   on the Gmail app there is an envelope with a plus sign shown on the top right of the screen but when I press it I get 'waiting for sync' again! How do I configure the gmail account?

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:05:50 AM »
Strange, did you somehow set up the Google account with your hotmail address? I used gmail for that. I'd post a screenshot of settings/ accounts where mine has a ± add account. Yrs doesn't?

Offline Aquaplane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
Hi Matt

Previous posts to this forum have been from my laptop. Just tried to post a reply from the Nexus, having accessed this site via Google Chrome. Was trying to post a screenshot of the settings/account screen. When I tried to post the reply with the attachment I had a message saying 'an error has occurred - the upload folder is full, please try a smaller file or contact an administrator'

Now I'm getting really confused!

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »
I get that too, I even deleted all my previous attachments. Maybe the nexus online manual would help?

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 12:50:18 PM »

Offline Aquaplane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 12:50:37 PM »
Matt - some further info that may assist.

Have just added gmail address to Chrome settings, under accounts where the + add account appears.

Now when I access settings through the main settings app under accounts : Corporate shows Hotmail address with green sync logo in front of it, so does outlook, email shows gmail account with green sync logo, but google shows green logo by gmail, but red one by hotmail address saying sync error. Bottom of the screen says 'sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.

When I open the gmail app it's still saying waiting for sync.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 01:08:21 PM »
IMO, gmail should not be able to sync to hotmail. Can you remove the hotmail from Google while leaving it in the regular email, corp, or outlook sync? When you open gmail and press the vertical three dot menu at upper right, can you select the new gmail address to sync instead of hotmail?

Offline Aquaplane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »
Eureka!

Deleted the Hotmail address shown under google on settings/ accounts. Gmail app now seems correctly syncing.

Many thanks to all who responded - your suggestions eventually pushed me in the right direction.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »
Open the Android mail app (Gold envelope) and add your Hotmail account there and your sync will work with Hotmail.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman