Thanks for your efforts! I emailed Google's Nexus support and was pleasantly surprised to get a response. Here is part of what they said:
If your device is having camera issues, it could be an issue with a 3rd party app or something else that was installed. Here are three steps to stop the camera app from working improperly:
Step 1: Check for system updates and app updates.
- To update the OS, go to 'Settings' > scroll down to 'System' > click 'About phone' (or tablet) > click 'System updates'.
- To update apps, visit the Google Play Store app.
Step 2: Try using the device in safe mode (and uninstalling apps in safe mode). [ http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/02/how-to-boot-the-google-nexus-7-tablet-in-safe-mode/ ]
- Hold the Power button while the device is already on to get the "Power off" option.
- Press and hold "Power off".
- Select "OK" to reboot into safe mode.
- To uninstall an app, go into "Settings" and then under the heading "Device" select "Apps".
- Select your installed apps and there will be an option to uninstall.
- To exit safe mode, power off the device normally and start it back up normally.
Step 3: Perform a Factory Data Reset
**NOTE that all of your personal information will be removed from the device. Please backup all of your information first.**[ Here is one suggestion how http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-back-up-your-nexus-7-information.html ]
- Go to Settings > Backup & reset.
- Select Factory data reset.
- Select Reset tablet.
- If your device is password protected, you'll be prompted to enter your Pattern, PIN, or Password.
- Device Erase everything to confirm.