March 29, 2024, 12:20:40 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Just got my Nexus 7 online using Bluetooth and my Droid phone  (Read 3409 times)

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
I don't know if this is a bug or something unique to my setup, but just now I paired my N7 to my DroidX smartphone through Bluetooth, and now my Nexus 7 is tethered through the Droidx to the Internet.  Also I've made no mods to the phone or N7... both are completely stock and not rooted.

The bandwidth is slow for sure, it took about 45 seconds to download a 6 Meg app from Google Play, but it's working none the less.  Also a bonus for me is I'm still on an unlimited data plan and don't pay any extra for tethering!

Can anyone else try this?  My DroidX actually has some bad spots on the screen and I've been thinking of doing a warranty replacement, but unless someone else can verify this works from other Droid phones I can live with the bad spots if it means my N7 will be online from anywhere.

Offline Scott99

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my Nexus 7 online using Bluetooth and my Droid phone
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:47:49 AM »
I tried that with my iPhone 4. The Nexus 7 shows my iPhone 4, and then on my iPhone 4 it shows connected, but it doesn't stay that way or work at all. I can't get my nexus 7 to pair with my Bluetooth Stereo headset either (Jabra Halo 2, great Bluetooth Stereo Headset !).

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
I tried that with my iPhone 4. The Nexus 7 shows my iPhone 4, and then on my iPhone 4 it shows connected, but it doesn't stay that way or work at all. I can't get my nexus 7 to pair with my Bluetooth Stereo headset either (Jabra Halo 2, great Bluetooth Stereo Headset !).

Hmm, I'm not sure how it works with the iPhone, mine is a two year old DroidX which does seem to work.  I'm actually thinking of sending the phone in for warranty repair since the screen has a couple of dead spots but if tethering through Bluetooth doesn't work on other Android phones I can live with the dead spots to have unlimited internet anywhere on the N7 :)

As for your Bluetooth Stereo headset I can't give much insight there either.  I did pair my N7 with my Ford Escape's stereo and it worked great, even while still connected to my phone to feed it Internet.  I was quite impressed, but I don't have any other bluetooth devices to test with.

Offline 7enneagram

• Popularity: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 06:07:41 PM »
I just verified twice using Bluetooth on my Droid X to tether my Nexus 7 & it worked both times!!

Bill
Vista, Ca.

Offline jsmith

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 06:34:08 AM »
i'm sure they will lock down that hole eventually.   that was going to be the first thing i was going to check.  there was a droid app that would let you do this without rooting but technically it's a violation of your cellphone agreement.

Offline n3vry

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »
Have you tried Foxfi it works very well, and you can use WiFi?
Foxfi works great with my Droid X.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts