March 29, 2024, 02:47:16 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Streaming personal media from PC to Nexus 7?  (Read 9408 times)

Offline jrdouce

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Streaming personal media from PC to Nexus 7?
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:26:03 AM »
Hi all.

I'd like to be able to access all my personal media without having to manage syncing, at least around the house.  What are the best options for streaming movies, music and photos from a PC to the Nexus 7?

I've been trying out Skifta.  It works, but it's a little quirky.   

I have Plex on my home TV, but I haven't bought it for Android yet.

Any other options? What are others doing? 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:50:26 AM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline ppongo054

• View Profile
Re: Streaming personal media from PC to Nexus 7?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:03:48 PM »
Hi there, I have been using Es File explorer for the last two days and it seems to work fine. I have found that when using vplayer to play the music and videos I have nothing but good quality streaming. I am two days into using android n7 and very pleased with being able to stream from my windows laptop as my I phone was poor. Hope this helps but I am just testing  and no expert
Knowledge is Power

Offline jrdouce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:28:02 AM »
Thanks, I'll check out  Es File explorer.  Is there a PC client required to index media or anything?  I didn't see mention of one on the Play page.

Offline Aginoth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 04:52:52 AM »
I use Plex Media Server on my PC and the Plex App on my N7 (costs £3.15) Works well.

Offline jrdouce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
Thanks.

I have Plex for my TV, it is stable and reliable.  I really don't like the 1 level indexing system for personal media though.  For example, I have a Photo folder; in photos, I have a folder for each year, within each year I have folders for events.  Plex has 1100 photos under 2912.  I can't drill to the 37 for Son's Birthday. 

I'm checking out Orb right now, as well.  It works well enough to stream music to my receiver.  Hopefully it works as well with everything to my tablet.  The mobile client is $10, though, so it better work.

Offline chaosgerbil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 04:39:24 AM »
I bought Plex with the £15 gift card. Works great on pc, N& and my phone. The ability to share media with other Plex users makes it a must have for me.

Offline davros1973

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 04:12:53 AM »
I use Emit ... it works a treat! (Windows 7, non-routed).  I'm waiting for air play to work properly as that looks better.

Offline davros1973

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 04:16:52 AM »
(Oops - not Air PLay - I mean Air PlayIt which at the moment force closes - but like I say - Emit works great).

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 08:00:12 PM »
I have a Razr MAXX and my absolute favorite feature that the N7 doesn't have is the Motocast software (formerly zumocast).  Obviously this is Motorola proprietary software, but it enables the ability to remotely sync media and files from my PC.  I can access my entire photo and movie library anywhere I have a data connection, all without uploading anything to the cloud or remote servers.  My files remain safe on my PC; I just have to select which folders I want to sync.  I am dying to have this functionality on my N7.  Does anyone have suggestions?

Offline jrdouce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 06:33:57 AM »
I know the Nexus Q is going to be a set top box, hardwired to an HD TV or stereo receiver, but if Google wants to provide a serious alternative to the Apple ecosystem, they will need to offer a solid alternative to AirPlay.  There are many 3rd party alternatives.  So far Skifta has been the most stable and reliable for me.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »
Since I first bought my N7I have been searching for that media streaming app that will do everything that I want it to.  I did in fact come across the exact app that I was looking for.  It's actually a very close relative to the Motocast/Zumocast family.  If anyone is curious, hit me up with a PM. 

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:21:52 AM »
Since I first bought my N7I have been searching for that media streaming app that will do everything that I want it to.  I did in fact come across the exact app that I was looking for.  It's actually a very close relative to the Motocast/Zumocast family.  If anyone is curious, hit me up with a PM.

Why a PM instead of just posting the link?  If it's that great a program, tell everyone.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »
Tiny, the app was not acquired through conventional methods. I do not wish to violate forum policy, nor grab the attention of the device manufacturer whence the app came from.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 07:20:41 PM »
Thanks loociddreamer, for recognizing forum policy and it is notable that you take app distribution outside of the forum. I don't want to take anything from the potential of the offer, but I will add that installing apps outside of the recognized markets are at user risk.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline little duck

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 04:37:22 PM »
I have managed to get my photos to transfer from my laptop, I think by synching (!), but my video content didn't transfer. they're both from my nikon 3100. I tried to drag and drop them, they seemed to go in the folder, but there is mothing on the Screen. Any ideas?---I am old  :-[

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman