collapse

Author Topic: Root Nexus 7  (Read 2896 times)

Offline halibaitor

• Popularity: -3
    • View Profile
Root Nexus 7
« on: June 30, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »
It appears that to solve the problems generated by Google, it will be necessary to root this tablet.  I for one, am looking forward to it, but have a serious problem.  I have never attempted this procedure before on any device.
I am hoping and praying that when someone does root the thing, they will be kind enough to write a procedure that can be followed by a noob like me.

I can follow a script very well.  As long as the person writing the script doesn't assume I know what is happening ahead of time.  The type of script I need is one that includes EVERY step, including the mundane things like plug wire (a) into slot (b).  Otherwise I am left to my own devices, which usually means I end up ordering pizza and forget about everything else.

So, PLEASE, someone root the Nexus 7 and write a procedure that the rest of us simple folk can follow.  The world and I, will be forever grateful.   :)

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Root Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:00:53 PM »
I'm not sure what you think rooting will solve exactly, but I'm sure there will be folks at XDA who will have details on the methods.

FYI - Root is already available here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28585-cwmeasyroot-nexus-7/

Edit: looks like XDA is on it with one-click root already: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1742919
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:12:36 PM by frank »

Offline halibaitor

• Popularity: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »
Thanks Frank...  That's a step in the right direction... 

Offline stinkyjak

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »
Nice....  Does anyone know if CWM is in the works? Too bad we have no SD card to back up images up to.

EDIT: If I read the links I would have seen CWM and su.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:22:54 PM by stinkyjak »
"I don't want to conquer anything. I just think the guy with the most freedom in this whole ocean... is the Pirate King!" Monkey D Luffy

Offline spungeworthy

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »
This takes very little time and you don't have to do much at all
Very easy to follow end result being unlocked and rooted..

I suggest watching through it first before you do anything

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »
We'll be preparing a full step-by-step root instructions here on the forum soon.  We're waiting for a bit to see all the different procedures that come out on XDA and other forums and then will choose the easiest method.
If you like our community please spread the word and help us grow by providing a link from your site to Nexus7Forum.com

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »
Currently unlocking the bootloader and installing SU are creating few issues, but CWM installation is problematic as it is based on the nexus phone. I suggest waiting until more developers actually receive the N7. A faulty CWM installation could brick your device. If you are a newbe to rooting wait until a one click root and CWM installation is available.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline edhunter

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »
I have spent 3 hours of today devastated thinking I had bricked my N7 with a custom ROM. I've finally solved the problem but in the process I have learned how to and would recommended using ROM Manager to download and flash ROMS.  I am looking to update the Kernel next but I am unsure which is the best to use and how to install it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline our year

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Root Nexus 7
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »
It appears that to solve the problems generated by Google, it will be necessary to root this tablet.  I for one, am looking forward to it, but have a serious problem.  I have never attempted this procedure before on any device.
I am hoping and praying that when someone does root the thing, they will be kind enough to write a procedure that can be followed by a noob like me.

I can follow a script very well.  As long as the person writing the script doesn't assume I know what is happening ahead of time.  The type of script I need is one that includes EVERY step, including the mundane things like plug wire (a) into slot (b).  Otherwise I am left to my own devices, which usually means I end up ordering pizza and forget about everything else.

So, PLEASE, someone root the Nexus 7 and write a procedure that the rest of us simple folk can follow.  The world and I, will be forever grateful.   :)

Just use the Wugfresh toolkit over on XDA.  No script to follow.  Just install the toolkit on a Windows machine and off you go...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 08:15:32 AM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:17:40 AM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
JayJ JayJ
2100 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1260 Posts
matt matt