March 28, 2024, 04:07:06 AM

collapse

Author Topic: N7 E-Reader, A Very Dissatisfied Customer!!!  (Read 8388 times)

Offline jp4miller

• Popularity: -4
    • View Profile
N7 E-Reader, A Very Dissatisfied Customer!!!
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:40:14 PM »
Perhaps this isn't the correct location for this. If so, please put it in an appropriate location.

The N7 looked great so I bought it to replace my Sony Daily Edition that I've had for several years. I bought 3 books (epub) from Google and pinned them to the N7. When I select the book icon, they are displayed for me to select/read. I have other books (epub) on my Sony Daily Edition that I want to transfer to the N7 and have them displayed by the N7 e-reader. I connected the N7 to my computer and searched it for the location of the books I bought from Google. I could not find them. I copied the other epubs I had on my Sony Daily Edition to a folder on the N7 called 'books' thinking they would be displayed by the N7 e-reader. They weren't. I contacted Tech Support and was told "the N7 e-reader would only display the books purchased from Google. If I wanted to read books not purchased from Google, I had to download another e-reader app to read them." How rediculous is that! My Sony (several years old) displays/reads anything I put on it (downloaded or transfered). Had I known the N7 tablet was so limited, I never would have purchased it!!!

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: N7 E-Reader, A Very Dissatisfied Customer!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:30:15 PM »
Don't be too quick to toss your new N7, yes Google dedicated their embedded ereader to work with Google Play Books, but that is easily circumvented. Just go to Google Play and download the free Aldiko reader and you will be happily reading your epub books. Dedicated ereaders are easy to use because that is their only purpose. If you want to enjoy the power of the Nexus 7 let us help you embrace the abilities of your new device. If you remain unsatisfied, it will not be the result of the enthusiasm of your forum friends.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 05:00:48 AM »
One of the good parts of Android is that you can replace any default app and many of those 3rd party apps are better than the default installed app.  In addition to replacing the e-reader app (I use Moon+), I'd recommend tryout out a new browser (Firefox) and video player (MXPlayer).

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 07:17:13 AM »
You can't read Kindle books on a Nook or Nook books on a Kindle. This is nothing new, but not a problem on the Nexus 7, since you can install any app you like for various book formats.

Offline gerry_4

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »
What do you guys think of the N7 as a ebook reader. That is the main reason why i want to buy one. I know there is a Kindle app. I see Moon+ was mentioned too.

Thanks

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:10:23 PM »
@ gerry_4

I think you will be quite pleased with the Nexus 7 as an e-reader. You have the native e-reader that comes with the tablet which will allow you to easily purchase books from Google Play or if you prefer to read material from other sources, you can choose Apps that will display ePub, Mobi, and PDF, to name a few. You choice of E-reader Apps will allow you to turn pages by sliding or that actually emulate page turning and even show bookshelves with the book cover. I should remind you that, as with any color tablet, you will not be able to read in direct sunlight.

Hope you decide on the Nexus 7 and join the community.

S.Prime

Offline jbarr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 08:18:12 PM »
I'm using the Kindle app, Zinio for some magazine subscriptions I have, and ezpdf reader for pdf files. The other suggestions are great as well.

Offline xiphias

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:12 AM »
try FB Reader...

Offline gerry_4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  One concern was when you said it was no good in  direct sunlight. I was hoping to take it on holiday to Greece

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
Basically if you have ever tried to look at your cell phone in direct sunlight, you will get the same effect.

JayJ

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »
Same effect as any Backlit LCD display, my PS Vita, PSP, DS and Samsung Galaxy S2 all behave the same in sunlight. A dedicated E-Reader like the Kindle would be much more appropriate.

Offline Evanthepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »
Download the app called perfect viewer. I use it for digital comics. You can specify which folders it looks for when searching for books. It reads a TON of file types as well.

Offline Trankster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 08:11:23 PM »
I am very satisfied with the N7 as an ebook reader.  I had a Nook Color and Nook Simple Touch in the past.   I buy my books mainly from Barnes & Noble, plus a few other sources including public domain.  I was disappointed with Google books because of the extra steps necessary to download a book, so I will not buy from them in the future.  Since getting the N7 it has become my primary reader.  It is hard to read the screen in direct sunlight as others have mentioned; though I would never take it to the beach or pool anyway.  The only readers that work in direct sunlight are those with eInk screens like the Kindle (not Fire) or Nook Simple Touch.  I was using the Nook app but am now using the Mantano Reader so that I can keep my many books organized.   

Offline nhobbit

• Popularity: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 10:49:59 PM »
I also like it as an e-reader.  As mentioned, the kindle app works great.  But also overdrive media app, which is what most public libraries use.

Offline Undo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »
Note that since starting this negative thread, jp4miller has not been back to see any responses. Most everyone else seems to think N7 is a great reader device. Text is so sharp and clear, I think only the (much heavier) iPad and various (much smaller) phones could beat it.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman