March 28, 2024, 10:04:09 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Rooted, now what?  (Read 5261 times)

Offline norcal618

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Rooted, now what?
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »
I took the leap and rooted my nex 7. The first thing I did after setting everything up was a clean cwd back up. I'm new to android and this is my first rooted device. I did a search here for suggestions on what apps and/or Roms/kernels to play with after rooting but didn't really turn anything up. Just looking for suggestions as to what apps, file managers, Roms and the like I should start out with.

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
Re: Rooted, now what? *update*
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »
After many hours of research and experimenting I have officially flashed my first custom ROM. I decided to go with paranoid android. Its bases off cyanogen 10 and shares many of its features. The thing that I love most about it is that you can configure the nex 7 into a true tablet UI. With this ROM I can also configure each app into either tablet, phablet, or phone UI. I'm still curious as to which root only apps I should download though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Rooted, now what?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:48:33 AM »
Wow norcal, sounds like you've really done some research!  I have yet to learn about custom roms and not sure I have the intestinal fortitude to go forward with that even if I did know which one to use  :-\ 
I think Titanium Backup is a worthwhile app, you might check it out.  Good luck on your quest and keep us posted please.

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
Re: Re: Rooted, now what?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »
Wow norcal, sounds like you've really done some research!  I have yet to learn about custom roms and not sure I have the intestinal fortitude to go forward with that even if I did know which one to use  :-\ 
I think Titanium Backup is a worthwhile app, you might check it out.  Good luck on your quest and keep us posted please.

radio
I'll definitely give titanium back up a spin. Once I was able to know exactly how to flash a new ROM it was a piece of cake. But getting to that point took hours upon hours of reading and some trial and error. Luckily the first thing I did after rooting was install cwm and do a clean back up. I had to utilize the back up more than once during my learning process and it worked lime a charm!

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
How are finding Paranoid Android on the N7? I tried it a few times in my Samsung Galaxy S2, still unsure about it on my phone but wouldn't mind trying it in my N7.

You have a link please, can't find this ROM on XDA?

Also apps worth trying with root, as above Titanium Backup but avoid restoring system apps. Root Explorer, AdFree is excellent as is Droidwall (haven't tried on N7) and if you pay games and have access to a PS3 Sixaxis then the Sixaxis app...

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
How are finding Paranoid Android on the N7? I tried it a few times in my Samsung Galaxy S2, still unsure about it on my phone but wouldn't mind trying it in my N7.

You have a link please, can't find this ROM on XDA?

Also apps worth trying with root, as above Titanium Backup but avoid restoring system apps. Root Explorer, AdFree is excellent as is Droidwall (haven't tried on N7) and if you pay games and have access to a PS3 Sixaxis then the Sixaxis app...
So far I am digging Paranoid Android very much! I loved my nexus 7 out of the box, but believe it or not its almost like a whole different and even better device now with this ROM. Im an iPhone user and my main reason for picking up the nex 7 was just to get a taste of the android platform and determine if my next phone will be another iPhone or an android phone. When my nex 7 was stock I was definitely leaning towards a preference for iOS. Now that I have unlocked, rooted, and flashed a custom ROM im starting to feel like android blows even my jailbroke iPhone outta the water. So yea, I like the paranoid android on nex 7. For some reason XDA didnt have the correct grouper zips for our tablet. Luckily i did find the correct zip and g-apps on another site.
 http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip    http://viperts.info/paranoidandroid/index.php?dir=grouper

JayJ

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
Yeah Android is far more customizable than iOS, root gives you more control than simply jailbreaking. Come on, to sideload on Android you just tick the box but you have to jailbreak iOS...

Android wins hands down for me, the customization (even without root), widgets, notifications. The whole openness of Android is where it's at.

Thanks for the link, will have a look see.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:35:04 PM by JayJ »

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 01:55:55 PM »
Yeah Android is far more customizable than iOS, root gives you more control than simply jailbreaking. Come on, to sideload on Android you just tick the box but you have to jailbreak iOS...

Android wins hands down for me, the customization (even without root), widgets, notifications. The whole openness of Android is where it's at.

Thanks for the link, will have a look see.
Very true. It seems that a descent stock android device has about the same or more customization then a jailbroke iPhone. Then with root its just a whole other level. One of the few things I like better about iOS is there app store though. It just seems like they have more useful apps. Im sure part of that is because im just more use to apple's app store. The more I get use to this tablet the more I like android vs iOS. I dont know though...Its gonna be hard to pass up the iPhone 5 thats supposed to come out next month..lol. If you have any problems with those links for Paranoid Android let me know.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman