April 16, 2024, 06:49:16 AM

collapse

Poll

Do You Plan On Rooting Your Nexus 7?

Yes, I will definitely root and customize my Nexus 7!
26 (31.7%)
No thanks, I'll stick with the stock OS!  I like it 'factory fresh'!
28 (34.1%)
Maybe, I need more information first...never rooted anything before!
28 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Do You Plan On Rooting Your Nexus 7?  (Read 16305 times)

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Plan On Rooting Your Nexus 7?
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »
I rooted mine on Tuesday. It was pretty easy.

Tell me this bman; what have you done with your tab now that you couldn't have done before you rooted it?? No pressure, just curious...  I'm considering it myself.

radio
I rooted mine several weeks ago primarily to take advantage of several apps that require root:
--Titanium Backup Pro to have the ability to freeze apps that I don't want to start on boot
--SD Maid - the best app to monitor and control the entire file system on the Nexus, not just the files available for view without root.  This is important to me since have limited storage space without adding additional hardware).  You'd be amazed of how much "crap" is kept in files you cannot see unless you're rooted.
--Root enables you to take advantage of all the capabilities/functions of Apex...not important unless you're using the Apex launcher...which is an outstanding launcher...better than stock in my opinion.
--Root allows you to install ROM Manager which in turn allows you to get into Recovery.  So, if you want to flash ROMs, themes, fonts etc you can do it.  It also enables you to create a backup of your ROM be it stock or custom.  As far as I can tell, the only way to get to Recovery is through ROM Manager...you can't do it any other way...it is a glitch on the Nexus 7.
--There are a few other apps that require root that many use to  control CPU speeds, extend battery life, change icons, theme, tether, hotspot etc.
The Google Nexus Toolkit available on this forum is an excellent tool to load the necessary drivers on your computer, unlock the bootloader, root your Nexus, create a restore to stock backup etc.  If you decide to root I'd recommend using this toolkit...it is excellent and takes the guess work out of the process.  I'm not a Android guru so I needed something that was idiot proof, lol.
--

Wow, thanks jpcalhoun!  I gave ya a big thumbs up on that one... I've had my N7 rooted for a while now but still didn't hve some of those apps you mentioned.  I've since rectified that situation though.....

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline jpcalhoun

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 07:40:01 AM »
Let me add one more app that is almost a must for any user who wants to root their Nexus 7.  ROM Toolbox is amazing.  This one app gives the rooted user the ability to flash, backup, change fonts, load ROMs, etc all in one app.  Highly recommend any rooted user to download this free app and check it out.  It is truely a "Tool Box" for your Nexus 7.

Offline lrm537

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Do You Plan On Rooting Your Nexus 7?
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 09:42:51 AM »
Let me add one more app that is almost a must for any user who wants to root their Nexus 7.  ROM Toolbox is amazing.  This one app gives the rooted user the ability to flash, backup, change fonts, load ROMs, etc all in one app.  Highly recommend any rooted user to download this free app and check it out.  It is truely a "Tool Box" for your Nexus 7.

I'll second that. An amazing app that's currently being improved with regular updates. This one app can replace several apps that are useful in the root & ROM department.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »
I downloaded the root toolkit before my N7 hit my doorstep! I am thinking of returning it though, since I am the 30 day return period of the retailers policy.  Is the method of returning the firmware to stock, unrooting, and relocking the bootloader  unrecognizable from a completely unmodified device?

JayJ

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
I've heard very negative things about ROM Toolbox duo haven't tried it.

And yes loocidremr, flashing the stock grouper image and relocking the bootloader will be like it's never been touched.

Offline optimalbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »
Never ceases to amaze me that people buy a Nexus device for the vanilla android and interface, only to root it for Apex or another similar launcher....

In get rooting for some of the tools such as USB, but I've got tons of cloud storage on Google Drive (5GB) and SkyDrive(25GB).  All my music and movies are stored on Google Play, and all my photos are stored on Google+..... 

I have the 8GB Nexus 7.  If I don't want to use a new launcher and have no need for more storage.... is there a reason for me to root? Not being sarcastic ... just trying to figure out if there is maybe something  I am missing out in?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
I rooted mainly because there was no way to store and play my 30 gb Karaoke collection. Cloud storage is great but has its limitations . MAINLY, you need wifi and if you use big amounts of space its not cheap after the free period runs out. The developer of Media Importer made it clear that there wasn't a way to use his app to play mp3+G files or designate a program to open them. He suggested rooting.
Rooting also gives you control of the file system. Allows for freezing of bloatware. I kept the vanilla launcher, haven't rommed out my Nexus. I happen to like it the way I have been able to set it up. I wouldn't have been able to do that without rooting.

JayJ

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
Never ceases to amaze me that people buy a Nexus device for the vanilla android and interface, only to root it for Apex or another similar launcher....

In get rooting for some of the tools such as USB, but I've got tons of cloud storage on Google Drive (5GB) and SkyDrive(25GB).  All my music and movies are stored on Google Play, and all my photos are stored on Google+..... 

I have the 8GB Nexus 7.  If I don't want to use a new launcher and have no need for more storage.... is there a reason for me to root? Not being sarcastic ... just trying to figure out if there is maybe something  I am missing out in?

You clearly no very little about Android and rooting...

Stock Android is AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and most custom ROM's are based on this version of Android, no body in their right mind is going to flash an HTC Sense themed or Samsung Touchwiz themed ROM into a Nexus device. That means custom ROM's get updates before OEM ROM's and will always be ahead of the rest.
Who would root just to run Apex launcher, buy the Pro version...

USB OTG is far more universal than you give it credit, I would rather have my movies on a thumb drive than the cloud. The cloud is only useful if you have a data connection and that's okay when you have access to an unlimited broadband connection but not when your tethering to a mobile or other mobile internet connection but not everybody does.
Also with OTG you can store game data and with apps like Directory bind or with the use of scripts you can store game data on USB thumb drives and play games.
I have Dropbox (100GB+), Google Drive, Box and Skydrive but still choose to root my device.

I think your thinking of rooting as bad or scary, it's not. All your doing to getting the same administrative rights as Windows allows and that's to read and write at the / level of your device. Your taking control of your device and that's why I choose to root, my device so I want to control it not it control me.
If you don't want root privileges, that's fine, it's your device and your choice but don't criticize those that do choose to root their device!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:44:22 PM by JayJ »

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2012, 12:32:13 PM »
I downloaded a ROM a drivers before the N7 was even delivered.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

Offline MrFound

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 08:34:34 AM »
i knew i shouldn't open this LOL now i'm really thinking about rooting my n7 just like i rooted my galaxy (which works great!)

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »
I have a brother that does security for Sony PlayStation network. I have an uncle with every gadget under the sun. My first experience with rooting was so that I could have android version 2.2 Froyo running on my device before they could. I root everything I get my hands on since then!

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »
i knew i shouldn't open this LOL now i'm really thinking about rooting my n7 just like i rooted my galaxy (which works great!)

Go on...you know you want to... ;D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:25:52 PM by JayJ »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »
The worm has turned for you MrFound.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 07:24:52 PM »
2 days max, before root. 8)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline MrFound

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2013, 02:06:16 AM »
The worm has turned for you MrFound.

Quote from: JayJ
  Go on...you know you want to...  ;D

:o tempters  :D

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts