April 18, 2024, 11:27:57 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Android 4.1.2 Update Incoming: Landscape Home Screen!  (Read 41637 times)

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Android 4.1.2 Update Incoming: Landscape Home Screen!
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »
Ah... Excellent George, congrats!  Thanks for letting us know.  Now I'll be standing by...

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
There is a bug in the boot loader. You have to be plugged into a PC in order to boot into recovery from the bootloader.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »
Whenever the dalvik cache is wiped, the os will automatically optimize apps. Wiping the dalvik cache is part of the update script

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 02:46:43 PM »
Oh Great....  NOT!!!

I was playing a game and in came the Google update notification.   I got all excited while it counted down and rebooted.  Everything looked good, until....  the little green android showed up with a RED EXCLAMATION MARK in his open belly!  So I waited while it took quite a while just sitting there and then it just finished rebooting.  I anxiously opened 'settings' to check the version and, drat!  Still 4.1.1

What do I do now?  No notification anymore, no hint about what was wrong or how I can fix it.  Any help out there??

rooted radio...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:49:57 PM by radiocycle »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »
The update has obviously failed.  You need to find out why the update failed if you want to keep your current ROM.  This can be a huge hassle.  I recommend using titanium backup for all of your user apps and system settings. Then install the latest release of Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast. This is a ROM that is very close to stock, yet optimized. It includes the latest 4.1.2 update and binaries.  You can check out the details @ PeterAlfonso.com

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
You can go to Settings > About > Check for Updates and find it.
My suggestion is to wait until the procedure for updating with root is established.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »
Thanks loocidreamer, that does look interesting.  I'm not sure I have the skills to load that rom without a step-by-step type of guide though.  I will keep studying...

S.Prime, I did check for updates and it says my 'system is up to date', but in fact is still .1  I'll stand by and see how that rooted procedure comes out.  Trying to follow the ins and outs of this particular thread just gives me a headache...  I'm hoping an 'update for rooted devices' will allow me to play catch up!

r

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2012, 03:30:53 PM »
Peter Alfonso has been developing ROM's since the OG Droid days.  He was one of the very first ROM builders.  I have a lot of faith in his builds. They are EXTREMELY stable.  I actually installed his ROM this morning. Went silky smooth. 

Instruction for installing through ClockWorkMod Recovery

1. Download the ROM http://peteralfonso.net/GROUPER/ROM/JELLYBEAN/pete_grouper_ota_2012-10-10.zip
2. Make a backup of all user apps and system data with Titanium Backup.
3. Reboot into recovery. (if you have Rom Manager, there is an option for this) To boot into recovery without an app with that option, turn off the device, plug USB into any PC with or without drivers, hold volume down + power to boot into bootloader, use volume up to select recovery, press power to select.
4. Make a Nandroid backup
5. Format data and cache, format cache, go to mounts and format system, go back, go to advanced and wipe dalvik cache, go back.
6. Install zip from sd card.  go to downloads and select pete_grouper_ota_2012-10-10.zip
7. reboot

After installation you can restore all user apps and system data through Titanium.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2012, 04:18:38 PM »
Just wanted to say I got my OTA this afternoon

Offline dominic

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2012, 05:49:58 PM »
My Nexus7 is rooted and unlocked
I finally got my update notice, it rebooted into recovery, attempted to install the update but failed signature verification, at that point it rebooted, but didnt do anything (just sat at the google screen showing the unlock icon) eventually i got it to reboot but now it says my system is up to date
Reading on XDA forum, I tried to clear data in the Google Framework app but it still says my system is uptodate

Any advise what should be done to enable my update OTA
I read several time how to update manually but I am still at a loss how to do it manually but preferred to do it OTA

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »
I am re-posting my original suggestion and advise any rooted user without advanced skills to wait until the issues are sorted out. This applies to the OTA as well as the download. If you choose to install the update, post your results and eventually we will achieve a solution. Remember the update has not achieved full distribution at this point.

Suggestion

At this point we have a very disjointed discussion of the advanced update for the rooted user, so brave ahead if you choose to do so, or exercise a bit of patience and wait for the update guide that we will post after the OTA drops and it can be evaluated or a flash install is developed at XDA, that is a less involved process.

S.Prime
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Android 4.1.2 Update Incoming: Landscape Home Screen!
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2012, 06:56:09 PM »
I am re-posting my original suggestion and advise any rooted user without advanced skills to wait until the issues are sorted out. This applies to the OTA as well as the download. If you choose to install the update, post your results and eventually we will achieve a solution. Remember the update has not achieved full distribution at this point.

Suggestion

At this point we have a very disjointed discussion of the advanced update for the rooted user, so brave ahead if you choose to do so, or exercise a bit of patience and wait for the update guide that we will post after the OTA drops and it can be evaluated or a flash install is developed at XDA, that is a less involved process.

S.Prime
Advice that I will surely take.

Offline wpb1960

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2012, 08:17:15 PM »
Has anyone got the OTA to install without issues, or is this just a problem for those who rooted and self installed ????

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
No issues

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Android 4.1.2 Update Incoming: Landscape Home Screen!
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »
No issues
Can you give us some more details? Are you rooted? Have you made any changes to your build.prop? What recovery are you using?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman