March 19, 2024, 08:04:47 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Best Case/Cover For Nexus7  (Read 44848 times)

Offline kyoo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Best Case/Cover For Nexus7
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »
Tons of covers have been starting to come in - whats your choice?

A talk about this started a little with the discovery of the wake/sleep magnetic feature - however, I'm not a fan of the Asus official covers - so what are you guys going with?

This one http://www.amazon.com/i-BLASON-Google-Genuine-Leather-Warranty/dp/B008GEHWWQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342058414&sr=8-4&keywords=nexus%20covers&tag=vglnkc4944-20 was mentioned in the other thread as well, but I'm wondering if that auto wake/sleep function is genuine - they had to have gotten their hands on one from the developer conference to have been able to discover that feature right?

I guess no one can really confirm if it works either too. Anyone else have any good choices?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:47:27 AM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline LanceJ

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Best Cover For Nexus7
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:37:08 PM »
It's hard to really add to this topic since we don have them yet, and there will be lots more covers in the coming month or so...

Offline daraldf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:27:01 PM »
Less is more for me when it comes to a case for my N7. I got a very nice leather case for my Acer A100 by Poet. It made the tablet too thick for my taste. It almost doubled the thickness of the tablet. Since the back of the N7 is rubberized, I might only put a good screen protector on it and be done.

Offline Puce Moose

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:28:34 AM »
I haven't made a selection yet, but I've noticed that quite a few are appearing on Amazon/eBay. I'm looking for a few things in a case:
* A decent stand built into it, so the Nexus can safely sit in landscape or portrait mode. Book-reading will account for at least 50% of my usage, so I need it to be able to sit by itself at a decent viewing angle.
* One piece preferred. My girlfriend has a one piece Belkin case for her Acer Iconia that I like; it's a wrap-around cover that also has doubles as a stand.

I like the price and look of this cover:
http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Multi-Angle-Google-Tablet-Automatically/dp/B008F05Q2E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342279461&sr=1-1&keywords=nexus+7+roo+case
However, it doesn't appear to support portrait mode stand support. That's not as important as landscape stand support to me , as I generally find it a bit more comfortable to read in landscape mode on her Acer (though I guess that orientation might break atypical formatting in a book with meaningful spaces/images/paragraphing/etc.)

Offline tsruggles

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 04:08:34 PM »
I haven't made a selection yet, but I've noticed that quite a few are appearing on Amazon/eBay. I'm looking for a few things in a case:
* A decent stand built into it, so the Nexus can safely sit in landscape or portrait mode. Book-reading will account for at least 50% of my usage, so I need it to be able to sit by itself at a decent viewing angle.
* One piece preferred. My girlfriend has a one piece Belkin case for her Acer Iconia that I like; it's a wrap-around cover that also has doubles as a stand.

I like the price and look of this cover:
http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Multi-Angle-Google-Tablet-Automatically/dp/B008F05Q2E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342279461&sr=1-1&keywords=nexus+7+roo+case
However, it doesn't appear to support portrait mode stand support. That's not as important as landscape stand support to me , as I generally find it a bit more comfortable to read in landscape mode on her Acer (though I guess that orientation might break atypical formatting in a book with meaningful spaces/images/paragraphing/etc.)

You will sadly disappointed. The n7 will only do landscape mode with videos. Even the YouTube app won't shift to landscape until the video starts.

Offline Puce Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »
You will sadly disappointed. The n7 will only do landscape mode with videos. Even the YouTube app won't shift to landscape until the video starts.

Urgh! I thought it was only the home screen that was portrait-locked. Fortunately it looks like some XDA folks have come up with a workaround to get landscape mode working on the n7.

http://www.slashgear.com/nexus-7-tablet-ui-hack-opens-up-landscape-use-04237157/

Offline comiskeybum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »
They showed someone watching the transformers movie in landscape.  So why wouldnt youtube work in landscape?

Even if it does not, im sure google will issue an update to fix this. 
Phone: Droid Bionic
Tablet: Nexus 7
Wife: Hot
Daughter: My precious

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 07:29:57 PM »
It does work in landscape.  The only thing that is 'fixed' in landscape that I'm aware of is the Home screen.  But even that has already been remedied.  See:

http://nexus7forum.com/index.php?topic=101.msg333#msg333

and

http://nexus7forum.com/index.php?topic=96.0;prev_next=next#new
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline comiskeybum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
Good
Phone: Droid Bionic
Tablet: Nexus 7
Wife: Hot
Daughter: My precious

Offline Trankster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:57:46 AM »
Any updates and recommendations on cases?  I just received one I ordered on eBay.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/221063370388?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648#ht_6289wt_1185 but the fit is a bit sloppy, front camera is not centered in cutout, powerbutton and volume keys are hard to reach.  It was cheap and no shipping, so I will use until I find a better one. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:53:22 PM by Trankster »

Offline scum1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »
I ordered this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GFW7VQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00      Should arrive in a few days and I'll report back

Offline TimothyKline

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »
Tons of covers have been starting to come in - whats your choice?

A talk about this started a little with the discovery of the wake/sleep magnetic feature - however, I'm not a fan of the Asus official covers - so what are you guys going with?

This one http://www.amazon.com/i-BLASON-Google-Genuine-Leather-Warranty/dp/B008GEHWWQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342058414&sr=8-4&keywords=nexus%20covers&tag=vglnkc4944-20 was mentioned in the other thread as well, but I'm wondering if that auto wake/sleep function is genuine - they had to have gotten their hands on one from the developer conference to have been able to discover that feature right?

I guess no one can really confirm if it works either too. Anyone else have any good choices?

I ordered the black version of the case, and like it. And, yes, the open/close magnetic strip does work as you've heard. One of the reasons why I opted for this particular case style is because it offers two cases. The tablet slides into the primary sleeve case, which itself adheres to the portfolio's outer case by velcro. It lets me use the tablet, protected by the sleeve case, without having to fold the portfolio case backwards onto itself. Very convenient when I want to muck around with my tablet minus the extra bulk! I also ordered a set of stylus pens for the first time ever, and am enjoying those as well—although there are plenty of times when it's just faster to touch the screen and do what I have to do for selection and navigation.

However, having touted the case, here's the caveat:

If you read the reviews of the seller, you'll see a pretty consistent series of complaints about the seller's shipping process itself. Here's my review, which can also be seen http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/details/ref=aag_m_fb?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&isCBA=&asin=&seller=A209HAH4Z0MGU9# here.

"Item was as described and is suitable for Nexus 7. Also enjoy the separable casing apart from portfolio. Shipping process experience left me feeling neutral about transaction: according to the seller's own shipping policy, they ship all items within two days of receiving order or will notify otherwise. Received NO notification, AND I was left with late shipment and delivery. Mixed bag here."

Within minutes of my leaving the feedback, they sent me an email offering to refund my shipping costs ($3.99) on condition that I pull my review. I declined the offer, a bit irritated that their email felt more like a bribe than an attempt to leave this particular customer without a bad taste in my mouth.

The portfolio is great. The shipping part of it? As a potential buyer, you have a right to be fully informed ahead of time.

—Timothy Kline

Offline The Nexus Project

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
rooCASE is the highest quality case currently out there for the Nexus 7

Offline Sylvia B

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 03:23:14 AM »
Hi All

Just received Koolertron Google Nexus 7" Tablet PU Leather Case Cover with Separable Removable Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard
purched from U.K. Amazon at around £22. So far I am extremely impressed. Features removeable bluetooth keyboard adjustable stand in fact haven't found  flaw yet.

Offline The_Devil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 12:21:31 AM »
Good

I use the Orientation mode app from the Play Store.  You can even lock the home screen in landscape.

For a case, I bought one of the cheap blue gel eBay cases.  Just a little insurance around the home, but the Nexus looks too pretty to leave the house in a gel case.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman