April 29, 2024, 08:04:02 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Any unexpected surprises after getting your N7?  (Read 21161 times)

JayJ

Re: Re: Any unexpected surprises after getting your N7?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 05:08:56 AM »

I downloaded the T-r-a-n-s-f-o-r-m-e-r-s movie (hyphenated to confuse that damn V-i-g-L-i-n-k) as well, but can't locate it using ASTRO FILE MANAGER

Is it in a hidden (locked) folder somewhere ??

The file which can only be played through Play Movies & TV is located under the following path...

/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.videos/files/Movies/....

Mine came with a movie and tv app version for gb (Great Britton)...not the US...so when I try to watch a movie, it gives me an error message saying (not avaliable in your country)....can't figure out how to change the setting....

I have no problems using it and I'm in the UK.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Any unexpected surprises after getting your N7?
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 07:35:40 AM »
My understanding is that only Google has 8 gigabyte models for sale.  All the other retailers received only 16 gigabyte models.  That explains the stores inability to find an 8 gigabyte model in its computer database.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 09:29:46 AM »
Well I can see why you have a +1 on your Karma score Zell, but I say, lucky him!

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Zell

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
Well I can see why you have a +1 on your Karma score Zell, but I say, lucky him!

r

For me, I'd be stoked if I got a 16 for the price of an 8 but only after the store said, keep it our mistake.  To each his own.

Zell

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 10:29:14 AM »
One thing that has surprised me about my N7 is the display, at times, is not as responsive as I'd like it to be when I tap and scroll on the screen.  It's nowhere near as bad as the Kindle Fire but sometimes it's not immediately responsive and silky smooth like my iPad2 and iPhone4 either.  I'm a little disappointed with this but maybe it's just a glitch with my particular device that a future OS update will fix.  Anybody else notice this compared to an iPad?  There are times when it's slow to respond to scroll and tapping a button.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:34:57 AM by Zell »

Offline excavator

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »
Just to add, I called this store many times checking on stock and they kept saying they only had three 8 gb units and after many days of this I decided to drive down there and just buy what they had preached to me about what was in stock  :(
Thats my luck and now I am  ;D

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 07:32:33 PM »
+1 for me.  :-)
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »
I must say I was very surprised to discover there was no way to do a Google Search on the Nexus.  I touched what I thought was a search bar (it doesn't say what it is) and wound up on my way to Google Now!   After having the Nexus 7 for a week, I finally had time to touch the search bar on the home page and study all the questions I got asked.  After giving my responses, I now have a Google Search bar just where I thought it should be at the beginning.

SageAndScribe

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
Yes, major unexpected surprise! I was THRILLED with it - until the screen decided to crack. Didn't drop it, didn't bump it hard, didn't even push on the screen hard, kept it in a protective case - and nonetheless, within a couple weeks of getting the tablet, the screen cracked. If you look to the left of the crack, you can clearly see that the glass is raised above the edge of the device on that side. Google says it's a user-caused error (alright, fine, who's to say I didn't drop it, I suppose); but ASUS is charging $160 to repair the screen. Even if it's a manufacturing error. I am seriously not happy, and cannot recommend that anyone purchase the tablet until the screen issue is fixed (google "Google Nexus 7 screen cracked" for other tales of woe).

*sigh*  Whatever happened to good, old-fashioned customer service??

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2012, 07:31:19 PM »
Sorry to hear that happened SageAndScribe.  For the record we've had very few reports here in the forum of the screen lifting issues that apparently have occurred to some Nexus 7s and yours is the first I've heard of actually 'cracking'.    Generally most have found their tablets to be well made.  Did you notice any screen lifting or separation issue before the crack or just after?  Was it noticeable from outside the unit or only 'through the glass' of the screen?
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

SageAndScribe

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »
Thanks, Babyface. I'm glad there aren't too many folks - apparently I am just one of the unlucky few!  :(  I didn't notice anything serious before it cracked - just a little unevenness in the height of the screen as compared to the edge of the tablet. I didn't think anything of it until it magically cracked and I began scouring the 'Net for solutions.

I've attached a photo of one side of the crack - you can see the unevenness of the glass, minor though it is.

Offline rickd

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »
Either I am a bit slow or the 'hotword' facility has been omitted. It doesn't appear on the Now settings menu.

Offline nikoli

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2012, 08:54:44 AM »
Hi all
Got my nexus 16g for my birthday today and guess what its faulty!!!!!
When I first turned it on there are thin white lines across the screen which don't disappear even with the latest update and a reset.
So its going back tomorrow (from Tesco) and they are sending another.
Funny thing is I had a feeling it was going to be faulty weird!       

Offline JesusChrysler

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »
I purchased a 16 GB version and loved everything about it! So much so, that I bought an 8GB version for my GF. We both can't say enough good about them. We were using Xoom tabs, but have since shelved them until we decide to sell them or give them away to relatives.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
@ JesusChrysler

Lucky you. I purchased a 3G iPad for my GF and I hate everything about it. Well maybe not everything, I do kind of enjoy it when I do something on my Nexus 7 and then have her ask, "Why can't my iPad do that?"   ;D
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman